SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vibration Suppression Pads - Any Good ?

Hi Guys

Currently my HEQ5 and 250px are mounted on the decking at the bottom of the garden.

Obviously when using high magnification (X200) if i move at all then the vibration is sent through the tripod/mount/OTA resulting in image vibration.

Now i know its nowhere near ideal being on the decking but i have to put up with it at the moment.

My question is, will the Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads help to eliminate to a certain percentage these vibrations ?

thanks

Graham

I'd be inclined, maybe, to put three concrete slabs on the decking as anvils and the vibration pads on the slabs. Decking really is catastrophic as a platform but a bit of mass under each leg might well help. No dancing in the dark or you will get the wobbles!

Olly

Hi i have just picked up a set of orion rocksolid pads off ebay and tried them out this afternoon on the sun with my HEQ5 and tal 100 rs on decking and can safely say they cut the vibration time by quite a margin.

I probably would,nt have paid around £50 for these but for £25 took a gamble, and so far i,m glad i did

John

As Olly says, decking is catastrophic for wobbles as it transmits all sort of vibrations as you move about.

I would check it first on a lawn. Before I got a pier, I found that even slab paving transmitted vibrations even if you were careful, but setting it firmly on grass was by far the best.

I'd be inclined, maybe, to put three concrete slabs on the decking as anvils and the vibration pads on the slabs. Decking really is catastrophic as a platform but a bit of mass under each leg might well help. No dancing in the dark or you will get the wobbles!

Olly

Im made this suggestion before and it was welcomed as a really good idea:

Drill 3 holes in the decking that allow you to place your tripod legs down through them. Below the 3 holes place a breeze block under each hole with a small depression in each to accept the foot of each leg of your tripod. If you need to build up the soil under the decking to make things reach/fit then do so............unless your decking is like 10ft above the level of your garden.

Archived