SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

• 2 months later...

you could also use a sky dish in conjunction with a dongle a few bits of software licence to geosat linked to a pc to receive and decode high res satellite images of the earth.

total cost of software,dongle and licence about £180 but images are stunning !!.

chris.

• 2 weeks later...
When you say stunning.... how good are they? Is there an example up on the web anywhere for the curious to have a gander at?

I think he may be referring to EUMETSAT, a list of products available is here:

EUMETSAT Products

Data products are distributed via the EUMETCAST service on the Eurobird 9 satellite (requires approx 80cm dish in South UK). Some info here

List of equipment/instructions for setting up here

David Taylor's pages with software for sale to process and view the data is here

And finally the MSG-1 yahoo group here

My system is not setup yet (I don't even have the software or dongle/license yet), so I can't show you any examples but you may find some if you hunt around. There is so much data it just isn't available in full res online in any way as a continuous stream.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there Kaz451,

A 1m dish should give a few more options - I may be getting a 2m but I'll start with a sky dish 'itty bitty' scope to get my head around the area.

I think the receiver is at least as important as the apeture of the dish.

If I can find Jupiter or the sun with the smaller set up, that would be mind blowing. I don't expect to bounce a radio beam off of the moon just yet :-)

You must be somebody else fed up with clouds!

I find the electronics aspects fascinating in it's own right...

Archived