Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to Solar observing

Patw#73

I've just started dabbling in solar observing. Had the chance to see my first sunspot recently and I'm absolutely hooked on it now, can't get enough!

I'm using a 8" Meade SCT with a baader filter, what other filters etc would any one recommend to bring out the best detail?

Any granulation I've seen so far seems very faint...

I've also tried some solar imaging and the results were very poor, to say the least!

Try adding a green filter ( what ever you have in your box) at the eyepiece. It helps to increase the contrast - should show surface granulations etc under good seeing conditions, you'll need > x100 magnification.

What are you using for imaging? A webcam?

Ken

Thanks - I'll try a green filter. x100 Mag will be no problem.

I'm using a neximage with amcap as the capture software. I tried to focus as well as I could on the limb then move over to get the sun spot in the frame but couldn't really decide how much gain, frame rate etc to use.

It was particularly difficult to get a good view on my computer screen in the light! I had it shielded in a carboard box but still very tricky.

Would you keep the grenn filter on with the webcam?

I'd add the green to the UV-IR which you should also have on the webcam.

Imaging and focusing takes time to master! Practise, Practise, Practise

When I solar observe I have the laptop inside a 40l grey plastic tub sitting on the plastic table; the lid hinged with gaffa tape and a piece of wire holding it open. A dark sheet draped over the open end and my head completes the scene!!

Ken

Would you keep the grenn filter on with the webcam?

Try it with & without. You will probably find that it improves definition but only usefully so when the seeing is fairly steady - when the seeing is wobbly, the shorter exposure allowed by removing the filter will probably get better results.

Archived