and so it begins

Ford Prefect

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're all breathing a little easier now Jon. :D.

That first pic. did look a bit uncomfortable, hence the worry beads coming out. It's all right now though. I think a visit from Mr L. is best though, just to be safe.:D.

Ron.

I'd better visit as well. You need someone to walk around, stroke their chin and say "hmmmmm" a lot.

I'm the very man for that job :D :D

Besides, I have half your stuff from SGL5 still.....

I'd better visit as well. You need someone to walk around, stroke their chin and say "hmmmmm" a lot.

I'm the very man for that job :D :D

Besides, I have half your stuff from SGL5 still.....

And hopefully Jon's Gentleman's Gentleman, will be in attendance to furnish the Grits and Vittles after the Um and Ah session is complete.

Having seen this "in the flesh", i think you've got plenty of room.

Remember that you do not need to get anywhere near the scopes once they are up and running - so you don't have to have walking room around the scopes when they are at their closest.

Looks like it's really coming along. nice one mate!

Ant

Looking really good :D

TBH I'm surprised you didn't orientate it so the roof rolls off north, I'm guessing you have reasons for doing it the way you did :D

Keep the pictures flowing........we all love obsy builds ;)

TBH I'm surprised you didn't orientate it so the roof rolls off north, I'm guessing you have reasons for doing it the way you did

Keep the pictures flowing........we all love obsy builds

I did consider about orientating it north George but then there would have been some apple trees in the way which I was told I couldn’t dig up :D

Ibbo

you may not be far off with your first suggestion ;) On the other hand maybe I should follow in the footsteps of football stadiums and get it sponsored.......... mmmmmmm I wonder :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Update

The base is down and the pier base ( 1.5mc3 ) of premix concrete with fibres (thanks for the advice TJ) will be laid on Friday. ;)

The observatory itself will have a raised floor so my question is should I laid the cables (power/USB) under the floor or not?

Cheers Jon

Do the pipe, do the pipe, do the pipe....i forgot and its a bit difficult to put it into reinforced concreate base afterwards (my builder went overboard said if he did it really well i could shove brick walls on later if i wanted).

I had to put the power coming up the outside and have no space for network cables.

Do the pipe....i just like saying it now!

Do you have a bar and pool room on that as well? Make sure you have enough space for a 36" scope and mount...just to make sure it is future proof!

Jon,

On my obsy, admittedly a bit smaller than yours at 7 x 7ft, I offset the pier to the South by 15% to make more room for observing. And been glad of it. Just another thought!

dave

Nice idea dave, thanks ;)

My piers will be bolted directly to the concrete pier base, if possible I will wait until the obsy is erected before I bolt the piers into their final location to check I have enough clearance :)

cheers Jon

Archived