sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Stacked or side by side?

Hi all,

I managed to get everything out and setup last night although I wasnt able to get any imaging done, long story, and looking at everything I started to wonder if there is any advantage of a side by side setup rather than having it all stacked.

This is what I have at the moment, which is just the Skywatcher rings bolted directly to the CNC rings.

post-17668-133877451574_thumb.jpg

One disadvantage of "stacking" is that you will need a greater counterweight (or a counterweight further outboard - but often there is not enough length on the counterweight bar) than "side by side". This is due to the scope weight being further away from the polar axis (moment is greater). One against "side by side" is that the scopes are more likely to come into contact with the mount at certain angles.

Edited by Bizibilder

I never really thought of it that way, I started off with one weight which was almost at the end of the bar but instead added a second and moved them closer to the mount to remove any flexure from that, so I suppose I have it as good as I can get it.

I really dont fancy either of the scopes coming into contact with the pier whilst I'm doing other things so it looks like I'll be carrying on as is, which is great really as totting up the cost of a side by side system its nearly 500 smackers just for the hardware......

Its as solid as a rock like it is so no point fixing it if it aint broke :D

Edited by simon84

I'm toying with changing my side by side widefleld setup to stacked...got to draw it up and get machining...

Your making me jealous again.......I keep asking my wife if I can get a smallish lathe but the looks, oh the looks.....:D

This is my wife who likes fish, she has a 36lt fish tank, a 50lt fish tank, a 130lt fish tank oh and a 550lt fish tank coming for her marine setup.....guess who does all the work though. Shame I cant turn glass otherwise she might go for it.....

I have tried both methods of attachment in an attempt to resolve differential flexure issues for autoguiding but my own 'jury' is still out on this as I found no advantage in going from stacked to side by side so I continue to stack mine.

Shame I cant turn glass otherwise she might go for it.....

Ah, but can you fry fish? :D

If you always use/need all of the rig, or the mounting is permanent, then either method is OK. If you sometimes want to use just part of the rig then side by side is easier to arrange.

I do naively wonder how (in "fig.1") you get the scopes to point in the same direction. Albeit I'm "visual only", and guide scope rings experiments apart, such seems to me (and with Giro III) the greater challenge. I am pleasantly surprised by the ability e.g. of dovetail bars to retain their setting, but compact size and rigidity (absence of flexure?) seem at least a convenience... :D

(Contemplating, at least vaguely, SIMILAR issues)

Edited by Macavity

By using three plates, one for the focus arrangement one as a centre plate which holds the filter wheel and the other end of the refractor tubes locked onto this plate by locking rings and grub screws with the third plate holding the lens cells.

When designing you have to work out in advance where exactly the holes in each plate have to be on a pitch circle diameter and then mark each plate for cutting on rotory table on miller or lathe. The top scope (90mm dia) is just slightly off centre with the other two so made an error somewhere with the cutting of one of the plates. At least it demonstrates that the idea works, which is why I had a go at building it.

Boyd

Ah, but can you fry fish? :D

I like your thinking, as a deep sea fisherman maybe I cod remind her that I like to cook what I catch.

If you always use/need all of the rig, or the mounting is permanent, then either method is OK. If you sometimes want to use just part of the rig then side by side is easier to arrange.

Alas its not a permanent setup, I'm trying to work out a way of leaving the mount out but you can just see a wall in the bottom of the picture, this actually backs on to the street behind where all the local yobs like to leave copious amounts of rubber from their cars on the floor.