548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

An explanation for my astronomy obsession

These are very odd results. I scored high (30), yet I thrive on chaos and disorder, love art, and am always called on to deal with a crisis when all else have lost their heads. Mind you, I'm a grumpy misanthrope at heart, so maybe that's not so surprising. My sister, who is very creative and a graphic designer by profession, was horrified to find that she, too, scored high (29).

Update: my brother-in-law, who is involved in the theatre and involved in running the drama course at a notable University (Matt Smith is one if his alumni), scored 6!

Edited by lukebl

Just out of interest do you guys that score high tend to over analyze every situation you find yourself in? And try to think of a possible solution to everything your mind comes up with?

I dunno about over analyse, I tend to analyse a situation till I'm happy I understand it.

It's impossible to have a solution to everything, but figuring a response to a given situation, then filing it away as if it were a sort of 'muscle memory' has helped me a lot.

Alan

I would say it is *desirable* to have a lesser score. Higher score does not mean higher overall intelligence and I would not say it's a desirable thing at all.

For me, having a high AQ score is a reflection of a mental handicap (maybe not for others though).

A score of 43, for me at least, comes with

-the feeling that you are living in an empty shell of a body with no person inside you

-not being able to keep up with introductions of more that two characters when trying to read a book

-having anxiety attacks when going to customer events

-not being able to follow anyone's conversations

-having an obsession of correcting everything that's not logically correct

-not being able to filter out background noise so you can't hear what people are saying to you

-walking into things or bumping your head on tree branches

-jumping out of your skin when someone walks up behind you and calls your name

-taking everything that's said absolutely literally

-being annoyed when your hyper-concentration is disturbed

Oh no sirree, it sucks !

A lower AQ score on that test, would mean you are at a great advantage: you would have more ability to understand what people are thinking, more pleasure from arts & culture, more able to keep going and control multiple conversations at social events, find it easier to engage and empathise with people, will probably have a good imagination for writing novels.... and the list goes on....

About over-analysing things, yes it really bothers me when I can't understand how something works, or why certain things are the way they are. I can't get to sleep unless I understand everything I've come across. That's why I was never good at languages at school, especially English comprehension !

Edited by PortableAstronomer

My husband and I both just took the test...no surprises re the result really!!

My score...17

His score...36

We are both quite different, but balance each other out really well. I push the 'social' and spontaneous' view of things, he pushes the 'focussed and practical' view of things...hence, we usually come out somewhere in the middle!!

If anyone's a member of other astro forums then go ahead you can start a similar thread there if you like; seems silly for me to sign up just to post a competing thread.

However I would say it is *desirable* to have a lesser score. Higher score does not mean higher overall intelligence and I would not say it's a desirable thing at all.

For me, having a high AQ score is a reflection of a mental handicap (maybe not for others though). A score of 43 comes with the feeling that you are living in an empty shell of a body with no person inside you, or not being able to keep up with introductions of more that two characters when trying to read a book, having anxiety attacks when going to customer events, not being able to follow anyone's conversations, having an obsession of correcting everything that's not logically correct.

Oh no sirree, it sucks !

A lower AQ score on that test means: More ability to understand what people are thinking, more pleasure from arts & culture, more able to keep going and control multiple conversations at social events, find it easier to engage and empathise with people, will probably have a good imagination for writing novels.... and the list goes on....

About over-analysing things, yes it really bothers me when I can't understand how something works, or why certain things are the way they are. I can't get to sleep unless I understand everything I've come across. That's why I was never good at languages at school, especially English comprehension !

We have alot in common :)

I can't even have a conversation with someone if its not logical/has some point to it, as I (my brain) see's it as a waste of energy. I try to get involved with people, but then I drift off in my mind to trying solve something that happened earlier, completely ignoring everyone around me and losing track of any conversation. Its horrible, but I can't help it.

If anyone's a member of other astro forums then go ahead you can start a similar thread there if you like; seems silly for me to sign up just to post a competing thread.

However I would say it is *desirable* to have a lesser score. Higher score does not mean higher overall intelligence and I would not say it's a desirable thing at all.

For me, having a high AQ score is a reflection of a mental handicap (maybe not for others though). A score of 43 comes with the feeling that you are living in an empty shell of a body with no person inside you, or not being able to keep up with introductions of more that two characters when trying to read a book, having anxiety attacks when going to customer events, not being able to follow anyone's conversations, having an obsession of correcting everything that's not logically correct.

Oh no sirree, it sucks !

A lower AQ score on that test means: More ability to understand what people are thinking, more pleasure from arts & culture, more able to keep going and control multiple conversations at social events, find it easier to engage and empathise with people, will probably have a good imagination for writing novels.... and the list goes on....

Sorry if I caused offence with my flippant suggestion. I also scored very high on this scale (35 & 39) and I agree high scores aren't better than lower scores. I wouldn't however say they are worse or indicate a handicap - just less typical, which can consequently be the occasion of stress and less social 'connectedness'. I'm sure that many who score high on this test do not fall on the autistic spectrum, and even if they do it is worth remembering that there is a significant range of ability on that spectrum, from severely disabled to virtually unhindered.

Just like being left-handed is not a handicap, even though scissors are universally designed for humans with the opposite chirality.

Edited by Ags

• 5 years later...

I haven't read all this, but skimming through the postings, I think the most important thing is for people to accept who they are and get on with enjoying their life the way their character compels them to live it.

As for the test? I figure you need to be pretty tenacious to add up the answers manually! I retired hurt...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I figure you need to be pretty tenacious to add up the answers manually! I retired hurt...

This ^^^^^ and to bump a 6yr old thread!

• 1 year later...
On 17/06/2011 at 17:20, PortableAstronomer said:

I would say it is *desirable* to have a lesser score. Higher score does not mean higher overall intelligence and I would not say it's a desirable thing at all.

For me, having a high AQ score is a reflection of a mental handicap (maybe not for others though).

A score of 43, for me at least, comes with

-the feeling that you are living in an empty shell of a body with no person inside you

-not being able to keep up with introductions of more that two characters when trying to read a book

-having anxiety attacks when going to customer events

-not being able to follow anyone's conversations

-having an obsession of correcting everything that's not logically correct

-not being able to filter out background noise so you can't hear what people are saying to you

-walking into things or bumping your head on tree branches

-jumping out of your skin when someone walks up behind you and calls your name

-taking everything that's said absolutely literally

-being annoyed when your hyper-concentration is disturbed

Oh no sirree, it sucks !

A lower AQ score on that test, would mean you are at a great advantage: you would have more ability to understand what people are thinking, more pleasure from arts & culture, more able to keep going and control multiple conversations at social events, find it easier to engage and empathise with people, will probably have a good imagination for writing novels.... and the list goes on....

About over-analysing things, yes it really bothers me when I can't understand how something works, or why certain things are the way they are. I can't get to sleep unless I understand everything I've come across. That's why I was never good at languages at school, especially English comprehension

Oh boy I recognise myself in all that! I am so very similar. This thread caught me because I am due to be properly assessed next month for ASD at the age of 49! I've always suffered the same traits you have described there but I don't consider myself to have any handicap. I'm just different to most people that's all, but then I'm also very similar to people like you too.

I guess I'm very lucky to have a girlfriend who sees past all my faults and see the nice guy underneath. That does make all the difference. I was married before to someone who really couldn't understand that I couldn't help the way I was and it was a hellish experience. But mostly I'm very happy being me. I'm only after a diagnosis so I can understand myself a little better. My girlfriend asked me recently if I'd take a cure if they found one. Why? In my mind I'm completely normal, it's everyone else that seems confusing. Let them take a pill ?

Anyway my score was 39 so we'll see how that matches my true assessment.

• Like 1