sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

asa ddm 85 arrival

Hey folks,

yesterday i picked up my Astro Systeme Austria Direct Drive Mount 85.

well, thats sounds impressive and professional right?

lets say their customer service sucks so hard that i don't need a vacuum cleaner anymore.

you got people in the astronomy that are kind of professor at a university , a doctor in a hospital with great earnings.

i am just a 21 year old electricien working a steel company called corus in ijmuiden ( holland )

so for me it was a big choose will i spend my saving money for a nice car or just upgrade my mount.

well, i did the upgrade of my mount, i was thinking about the ASA DDM 85 because of its specifications, and the opinion of some college astrophotographers

so when i wanted to buy the ddm 85 i contacted ASA with several qeustions like, how many counterweight are delivered with the mount, is there a baseplate delivered with the order of the mount, and some more small questions.

and off-course i didn't get any e-mail back, so i tried the questions more times but like expected no answers, so sad.

4 months after the choose of buying the ddm 85 i still had no information, only the information supplied by fellow astrophographers.

and then its the day it arrives.

let me show you some photo's

in this box are some cables, there looks enough room for a manual and a driver cd right..... well, they didn't do that.

asa-05.jpg

at the underside of the baseplate ( here shown with losmandy-asa adapter underneath )

i am missing some painting, (they 2 rounds )you will not see it, but if its not stainless steel or aluminium it could rest ( don't know how to say that in english by the way )

the other side is painted btw

asa-04.jpg

on the azimuth adjustment on both knobs there are some scratches

asa-02.jpg

more info will follow.

these things are not special damages or something but you would expect something nice for 14.000 euro's right?

Edited by Erwin Kats

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree ive had problems with ASA in the past (as i mentioned in your last post) ive even inquired about this mount....6 month later ive nothing back from them!!! Lets hope that the mount is good enough that you dont need to contact them.....if it does what they say then you will never need to change this mount....fingers crossed

I look forward to hearing how you find the mount. It is a great idea if it works. However, since the technology is new the customer service needs to be there and most people seem to be saying that it isn't!

Olly

Wow Erwin, that's shocking considering the price of this mount :D

I would not be happy if a mount costing a tenth of the ASA was delivered in this condition. Have you considered simply returning it and demanding a refund?

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Col

well if i would return the mount it will take ages before i get it back, and because of the bad customer i think it will be hard to communicate with them about it.

here some more pics.

here some more pics.

picking the mount up, in the back of the car :D

asa-16.jpg

the DEC unit with 2x 5kg in the box at the right, so a package of 30 kg

asa-20.jpg

the most nice thing was the packing of the counterweights.

asa-19.jpg

unboxed.

asa-17.jpg

the losmandy tripod with the asa adapter-and asa baseplate with the mount on it.

asa-14.jpg

the USB rumble pad/controller i bought yesterday from 9 euros to control the mount.

asa-09.jpg

first connector is for the internal USB hub, 2nd is com port connection for the RA and DEC axis control. last one is for the power suply.

asa-12.jpg

the mount with the first cloud in 3 days :D

asa-15.jpg

click here for a big photo of the setup ....

http://www.astro-land.net/wp-content/gallery/equipment/asa-10.jpg

regards, erwin

Erwin, I read your comments re this on the ASA Yahoo! group a few days ago and there you indicated that you suspected the marks were inflicted while the mount was in-transit. Do you still believe that to be the case?

Something I find odd with regard to the criticism of ASA's customer service: Here's me all the way down in little old New Zealand and not once has ASA ever failed to respond efficiently to my numerous email enquiries.

It's strange that they can always find the time to communicate with a remote dreamer like me in the South Pacific, yet not their actual customers with whom they share the same continent!

Maybe I should stop emailing them so that they will finally have the time to deal with you guys... :D

Edited by Marmite

For that amount of money I would expect it to be perfect straight from the manufacturer. I'd have no hesitation in sending it back because it looks like a "used" or "second hand" item - or a "display model" that's been set up in a shop.

Demand a proper new one or a full refund. I find it very annoying that a commercial organisation can this to a customer.

Erwin, I read your comments re this on the ASA Yahoo! group a few days ago and there you indicated that you suspected the marks were inflicted while the mount was in-transit. Do you still believe that to be the case?

Something I find odd with regard to the criticism of ASA's customer service: Here's me all the way down in little old New Zealand and not once has ASA ever failed to respond efficiently to my numerous email enquiries.

It's strange that they can always find the time to communicate with a remote dreamer like me in the South Pacific, yet not their actual customers with whom they share the same continent!

Maybe I should stop emailing them so that they will finally have the time to deal with you guys... :D

LOL.

i think the damages were done in the factory, i have to say that the ''impact'' indicator on the boxes were both red also, asa is asking customers then to send them an e-mail with photo's etc from the boxes.

but why should i send it to them if they will not respond right?

well do you already own something from ASA?

when i had a question for asa when i had nothing from asa i didn't get any answer.

the day i picked up my ddm 85 , i requested a serial key for the program autoslew and i received it within 24 hours so.... and i had send the request to the same e-mail adres ( office at asa.at)

i forgot to mention my losmandy G-11 that came all the way from USA was without any damages.

For that amount of money I would expect it to be perfect straight from the manufacturer. I'd have no hesitation in sending it back because it looks like a "used" or "second hand" item - or a "display model" that's been set up in a shop.

Demand a proper new one or a full refund. I find it very annoying that a commercial organisation can this to a customer.

you are 100% right, but I think ill send all those pics and further information to the dealer that was between me and asa, and maybe they can do something for me.

Edited by Erwin Kats

Hi Erwin. Nope, I am not yet an ASA customer, although the DDM 85 looks very attractive and so I've been asking them many questions for a while. And yes, they reply every time and pretty rapidly. If they're sick of my email, they're not letting it show! :D

It's a tough call re the shipping. While I agree in principle that the vendor should always bend over backwards for the customer, that can get very expensive if many of the customer's claims turn out to be invalid. (And I'm not suggesting that's the case here.)

To me it looks like they may be anodised finishes rather than painted...

I don't know what sort of limits they set on cosmetic blemishes durign Inspectionand QA , it's always a difficult one as its ultimately the end customer who decides what's acceptable and as the customer we all want perfection especially on a high end piece of kit like that mount...

Peter...

bad customer service or not...that mount looks amazing! and even having had a bad experience with ASA myself, i would still consider buying that mount or one their astrographs, there is no getting around it ASA make some of the best kit avaliable to the amateur

yes, the mount does look great :D.

yesterday night i have been testing the mount for the first time, to bad i forgot to do the polar alingment but the pointing accuracy was very good, i know how all the software is working now from the sky 6 to autoslew so i need another clear night to test it, tomorrow we get bad weather ah well.......

after all the other messages, also good things off-course.

in order to tell the encoders in the mount what the position is of the DEC and RA axis you have to synchronise a star, you look for a star and then you fill in the coordinates in the asa program from phillip keller called autoslew.

after that you can also connect to the mount in the sky 6 and see were the mount is pointed ( oh damn, that works so nice )

just after the synchronising of a star i told the mount to go Vega, and this is the result....

mg_8280.jpg

i still didn't do a polaralingment ( only rough one )

but i also did not make a pointing file....

so i am pretty happy already.

GeoC ,

no not yet, i just went outside, i was doing my polar alingment but .... clouds....

(never believe a weatherforecaster in this hobby :D )

so its under bubble foil again lol

asa-b.jpg

next week i will not try to play with the mount, got 4 exams coming up from school.....

thanks GeoC,

at the moment i got the flu, but this clear night was so tempting that i wanted to play with the mount again.

ive spoken to a college astrophotographer ( Karel Teuwen ) from belgium.

he also got an asa ddm 85 and i needed some help with the polar adjustments.... because of some unlogical thinking of myself....

but oke, i made a pointing file on the east of the meridian, ive centered the stars with a 40mm eyepiece... not the best way to do but it was for a quick try.

ive selected 10 stars and then stopped the file to calculate the configuration.

after that ive selected polar adjust so to make a better polar alingment.

then i made a final pointing model of just 10 stars ( you can do as many stars as you want ), on the east and west side of the meridian, ( i only did the east side )

then i sayed to the mount, slew to M51.

i did a exposure of 10 minuts with my eos 40D and vixen r200ss ( way out of collimation ) and its 5 bft wind speed at the moment.

i only did a auto tone action in photoshop to display soms details because of the bad light pollution over here :icon_scratch:

click here for the full resolution photo.... 13,5 MB !!!

not a very good shot but its a learning curve :)

http://www.astro-land.net/wp-content/gallery/random-shots/img_0076.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

its already a while ago, but after some testing with the mount again during a few clear nights i am now managing 15 minut sub exposures....

but!

the software is a real pain in the tip of my finger.

not only for me but also other ddm owners.

besides, the usb to serial convertor is from bad made, and i had to tie it up.

otherwise i was losing my RA axis the whole time.

usb-serialconverter-fixed.jpg

here a photo of the screen during centering the stars for polar alingment.

center-01-k.jpg

when you did a good polar alingment you can use the program sequence + autoslew + a star catalog ( GSC 1.1 for me ) + Maxim

in this program everything will be automated, the software takes a picture, and goes to the next point, and then you will do a plate solving.

the plate solving will calculate the difference between the real position of the star and the position that is seen by the ccd camera.

here a test image from 20x5 minutes, i didn't do any longer because my telescope is out of collimation.

its a piece of the california nebula with the vixen r200ss.

california-nevel-klein.jpg

well at least there are ''no'' mechanical errors.

for me the mount is operating pretty good, but i still hear people were the mount is not running properly.

but the support is getting better ( at least )

next weekend ill post more info, in the mean while you can look on my youtube channel to see some videos about the ddm.

sorry for my mistaking in the videos, i am thinking dutch, but i try to talk english.

YouTube - ErwinKats's Channel