SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Understanding distances, star birth and death

ASIGN_Baz

Are you a bit of a chemistry and maths numpty like me? :D I have just combined all of my modest understanding, with masses of research and cross-referencing on the net to write a page explaining a number of astronomy terms.

It translates them into terms and visualisations that the layman (afore-mentioned chemistry and maths numpty) can understand and apply.

Most of us don't need to know the mathematics and chemistry behind the cosmos, but it sure helps to understand the mechanics of it all!

ASIGN's Understanding Practical Astronomy Page.

I very much hope it helps those who may be entering into the exciting field of astronomy, to give you a knowledge base that is interesting, informative and help you in your journey of becoming waaaaaay smarter than me.:D

Baz.

Edited by ASIGN_Baz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Ok so instead of saying something is at 9pm position to the moon it would be right to say that it is 270 arc minutes from the moon?

I dont think i have that right.

???

That's not my understanding!

An arc minutes is a unit of angular measurement, equal to 1/60 of a degree, but don't let that put you off - the moon is approx. 1/2 a degree wide, so if 1 degree is 60 arc minutes then the moon is 30 arc minutes across (or 1800 arc seconds).

So it's not so much the position of things but the relative width of them as we can see them.

Hope this makes sense!

Edited by xboxdevil

I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks i really mean it. :)

I can get the distance bit no probs , i just cant get the blackhole stuff in my head.;):icon_scratch: i understand it ,but find it so hard to picture a point so small yet so heavy (i know its mass lol). my head goes pop thinking about it:eek:. Yet thats my favourite part of astronomy. i love the thoughts and umderstanding far more than the sights. (anyone else the same).

cant wait to read/learn more

Teddy:D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was educational and enjoyable, I thought a parsec was something dreamt up for sci-fi and I especially liked the metaphor about ice cream, it made me laugh and a little peckish :D.

Keep up the good work:hello2:.

• 2 months later...

Thanks again folks. Sorry I have not been active on the forums for such a long time. I have been concentrating hard on my own photography business when I quit my full-time job in October.

I have sold ASIGN Observatory and will be using the funds to upgrade to a bigger, five metre geodesic dome in early 2011. You will probably see a lot more from me then, as I keep all the would-be astronomers and observatory builders informed of all the new lessons I will be learning.

Cheers!

Baz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...