Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Mosaic (Frustration) 23rd May

AndyUK

I decided to spend a night trying out a full lunar mosaic with my C100ED, Toucam 840k and a 2x barlow. It probably wasn't exactly the most ideal night to try this exercise (with so much being "flat" and the seeing being pretty poor) but it was simply something I wanted to try...

I ended up taking a total of 72 bitmap stills (the full bitmap image is over 36Mb, although viewing at 100% really shows up my focusing and also that I should have used stacking to get around the poor seeing). However, when I came to put it together, I found that I'd missed 5 areas (4 frames) which was REALLY frustrating!

20100523FULL72.jpg

I haven't put this through photoshop yet (which I'm hoping will sharpen it up a bit more) but I did go out the following night and took the remaining 4 frames to see if I might be able to "patch" it (although the seeing was even worse), but I then discovered that the moon "wobbles" (I should have realised this as I read it in S&N recently). It appears to have tilted about 12 degrees - Although I can try a bit of trial and error, I wondered if anyone knew the absolute daily "wobble" so that I can try and rotate them and hopefully merge them in...?

Although it probably isn't worth it, I hate to leave projects unfinished(s) and trying to locate the areas on the moon to take "missing" frames the following night was certainly a bit of a challenge... if nothing else it also taught me to be even more careful next time!

Take a low resolution frame set first, use scaled bits of that to patch any minor holes in the high resolution set & hope that no-one notices. (Since I've been using this method I haven't actually missed any holes, so Sod's Law probably applies too!)

Thanks Brian - I'll try that next time. Hopefully Sod's law will apply for me also...

I did manage to "patch" the holes with the images I took the following night (using rotation of 12 degrees left), although I had to build the mosaic up from scratch again. Here's the final bmp cut (although I still need to do a bit of work in photoshop - It's now 77 frames):

20100524FullMosaic.jpg

Hopefully the seeing will be better c. 17-19 June, although I think I might do a better job with an ED Barlow - The one I have is a standard Skywatcher and I have a feeling that it's perhaps letting the 100ED down. I've also now got myself a Bahtinov mask so I should be able to get my focus pinned down better as well...

That's better Andy, load the AVI or bmp into iMerge (drag and drop) at capture time, and build up a quick and easy mosaic as you go, that way you can easily see if you've missed any bits.

Cheers John - I must admit, I'd never thought of putting it together at the time of taking them, but having gone through the frustration / disappointment at the time, that makes a lot of sense... Thanks!

Archived