SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Writing a book...

Hello guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

I am an author, which the really intuitive among you may have already guessed. I am writing a new book and need a little help with some space science and theories... It's a little hard to explain without giving away the plot behind the book.

I would love to pair up with an experienced astrologist (Astronomer is what I meant) to help me. Hopefully someone who also has some imagination... The information I require will be based around planets.

If you think you are fit for the role, please state below, and I will get back to you. As I don't really want to give away plot ideas publicly, I will hope to make further conversation via email or private messages.

Many thanks,

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I would add some additional information about the book;

It is a science fiction/adventure book intended for teenagers,

It is based sometime in the 21st century,

And it involves two planets that I need some information about...

Would love to hear from someone soon.

I take it these two planets are members of the Solar System, and not two fictitious worlds? Why don't you just ask the questions you need answers for, those who can help, surely will contribute the Information you need. There will be lots of members who are knowledgable about the suns family of planets and moons.

Ron.

Alright then, thanks for the advice. I do hope some people can help me...

These two worlds are fictional, and orbiting the Earth like our moon. Let's say, for arguments sake, that these two extra moons are completely invisible.

- What would be the length of the nights and days?

- What would the seasons be like?

- How long would be their year?

- What would be required to make the planet habitable?

If the planet had it's own atmosphere, eco-system and population;

- What would be the climates?

- What effects would the orbit have on water on the planets?

- And anything else that would differ to Earth...

Use your imagination, and please give me as much detail as you can!

If you have a true budding imagination, please help build up some facts and information about these worlds to make for a believable story.

'If you have a true budding imagination, please help build up some facts and information about these worlds to make for a believable story. '

Isn't there some confusion here? I don't want to be pedantic but the imagination is not the source of facts. The great Sci Fi writers have an understanding of the facts and the laws of physics. They use their imagination to consider how those laws might play out in sets of circumstances other than those which apply locally. Imagination is, therefore, a very rigorous thing. I'm trying to think which poet it was who insisted in making a distinction between imagination and mere fancy.

To be brutally honest, being an author means doing research. Reading a few books on planetary science and astronomy would be the best way to start.

Olly

I reckon Author is looking for some "believable facts" about these worlds which are not neccessarily "hard facts", but based on stretching the imagination around the things we do know to be true about planets/moons generally.

I think "poetic license" is the phrase used to make a credible but none the less fictitious story. It's an interesting challenge and a nice diversion when the weather is stopping us going out with the scopes :D

(Apart from spending loads of dosh on shiny new bits that is lol)

I believe an author should research what ever he is trying to write about. If you are writing about the battle of Agincourt for example you read all there is to read about Agincourt and medievil England.

Not being to rude Author but what books have you read about this?

please give me as much detail as you can!

Practically any answer is possible.

Go read the Helliconia trilogy (Brian Aldiss). This will give you a good idea as to how imagination can conjure up a believable alien world consistent with science.

I would avoid creating "invisible" planets within the bounds of our own Solar System, there is plenty of scope for realistic fiction within the real worlds which are known to exist.

Hi Author. I have a fair bit of knowledge about planets, and some about moons too (which appears to be your actual location) I also have a great imagination. Would you like me to write the book for you?

Also, you haven't mentioned renumeration. How much are you offering for this service?

Steve

I would avoid creating "invisible" planets within the bounds of our own Solar System, there is plenty of scope for realistic fiction within the real worlds which are known to exist.

I agree, even if they were invisible there are many other ways they could be detected, if as Author requires they orbit the earth then the 'invisible worlds' would affect the tides on Earth just as the Moon does.

Just thought I would add some additional information about the book;

It is a science fiction/adventure book intended for teenagers,

It is based sometime in the 21st century,

And it involves two planets that I need some information about...

Would love to hear from someone soon.

Author, Are you a teenager yourself may I ask?

Ron.

Firstly, the only renumeration that could, and should be performed across the internet is a mention in the foreword. I would be quite happy to dedicate the book to a group of specific person who would help me. If however I cannot find the information I require, I will arrange a formal meeting in person with a local astronomer.

I would like to thank brantuk for his comment, with which I agree.

I have not yet read any books into astronomy as for many reasons, I am unable to acquire books for another week. The volume of astronomy books is overwhelming and if I have not found some help before the end of the week, I will then find some guidance about which books I may need. But I also love hearing advice, and help from people with imagination, as I have found, the imagination of the paper in books, is limited.

And finally, I am not a teenager, but most enjoy writing in a style that lots of teenagers enjoy. Others do like my books, but teenagers seem the most captivated. Firm plots and a poetic thread through the story are also key, but the writing style can make or break a book. If it seems that I write like a teenager, good, as teenagers can best link with peers, or writing that might as well be from their peers.

What books have you written? What is your name?

Yes, branuk is a nice guy, I know him. I'm sure he'll be willing to spend many hours helping you write a bestseller if there might be a chance of a mention in the foreword. Me too.

Steve

I really am very sorry, but I strongly uphold privacy, and really do not want to publish my real name on the internet. I know, I know. I have written books, and publish those with my name on, and I don't even use a pen name... But I have always been very tight with the internet, and don't know the real risks, or which places (if anywhere) it is safe to post personal information in. This is really tearing me apart.

I am not a famous author, but I am passionate about what I write and I guess that's all that counts in the end. It's what I love and what I can live with and from. I hope you can understand where I am coming from. I especially don't like to publicise my work, for many reasons. I wish I knew what you are thinking as you read this...

-----

So back to my original queries,

I thank those who have shown support, shall we get to work?

;)

Let's start with our moon as a template, and create the extra two moons like rough copies. Ideally, these moons should be habitable, would that even be possible as I know our current moon has a significant lack of oxygen?

=)

When is this book set, what time period. I ask this as in many years from now these moons would have moon bases and maybe colonies built on them to house the human race.

If it is set hundreds of years in the future, the human race could be in need of new worlds or new space to inhabit for many reasons.

Well with a little poetic liscense we actually have the technology abit maybe on a lower scale to make oxygen from moon rock, maybe in 30 years time if the americans wanted they could have moon bases.

To have another two moons going round the Earth would cause so many problems on Earth, just imagine the how it would control the tides, we could end up with tidal waves, higher sea levels, flooding on a grand scale.

Archived