SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

STS-132 touches down safely - end of an era

Llamanaut

Hi Llamafarmer

Just watched the vid love the way the shuttle pulls up as its landing

maybe one day in the future when its in a museum ill go and see it

in the flesh .

nice one for postin the vid :D

Terrific vid - never fails to amaze how it comes in so fast and yet slows up to land as a glider. Shame it's over for now - but can't wait to see what new developements occur round the world. Keep your eyes on Richard Branson lol

Just watched the vid with my wife and when I told her it was Atlantis's last ever flight she also had a lump in her throat.

Great but sad moment. Onwards and upwards.

I had tears in my eye's watching that,daft i know but we're rapidly coming to the end of an era in space exploration,the joy and excitement,the tradegy of Challenger and Columbia,the achievements of what those brave men and women did in space.

Agree with Friedclutch its very difficult not to get on my box and start ranting about policitical decisions re the space program.

Sad but exhilarating.

You know it's the end of an era, just like Concorde - and the world and universe become a larger place, not smaller.

I guess the sheer technicalities of keeping humans alive in space just doesn't make sense when robotic probes are so successful.

Maybe we might see more edge of space flights, but until robots build a colony, that's all folks...and the human race is marooned on this tiny fragile spec of dirt we call Earth.

You know it's the end of an era, just like Concorde - and the world and universe become a larger place, not smaller.

I guess the sheer technicalities of keeping humans alive in space just doesn't make sense when robotic probes are so successful.

Maybe we might see more edge of space flights, but until robots build a colony, that's all folks...and the human race is marooned on this tiny fragile spec of dirt we call Earth.

That brought a tear to my eye too, I remember watching the first launch of Columbia in 1981, building the Airfix kit, and here we are three decades on, their job done.

It's a sorry state that there is no replacement ready to fly - are we really back to creaky old Soyuz for the ISS taxi ? :D

Truly the end of an era.

Dave.

Archived