Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GOTO CHOICE

I have decided to venture into Goto territory as I am struggling with star hopping and I want to see as much as possible in the limited time I have available for observing.

I had originally decided to go for the CG5-gt based on the numerous recommendations from other SGL members.

Truthfully though I think I'm likely to be sticking to observing only with no imaging and wondered if the goto upgrade for my EQ3-2 would be sufficient.

Given a limited budget and catering for observing only would you upgrade the EQ3-2 or go for the CG5-GT ?

Cheers Astrobaby,

I suppose given that a new goto upgrade for the 3-2 is £300 ish then a little bit more will give me a better mount altogether albeit 2nd hand.

Are you up observing or working like me ?

I was up working. Something to think of isweight and bulk. CG5 and EQ5 are a bit heavier than an EQ3-2. An HEQ5 is heavier still ad the EQ6 is a monster to drag around.

If it were me I would upgrade from the EQ3-2 and go either CG5 with GoTo - the come up quite often 2nd hand and also new as a special and HEQ5s with GoTo also turn up 2nd hand. Someone beat me to one recently that sold for £350.

If your not imaging then you could say an EQ3-2 is sufficient BUT when you put a lighter scope on a solid mount its a while different ball game and it does more for the views that almost anything.

Obviously much depends on budge but if I were doing the same upgrade knowing what I know now I would go for at least the CG5.

Astrobaby that all makes sense,

Are the CG5 goto and the HEQ5 more or less the same or would you have a preference ?

Weight wouldn't be an issue as I'm from Yorkshire and we're known to be strong in't arm if a little weak in't ead :D

they are pretty much the same thing, the CG5 is regarded as a beefier version of the EQ5 just like the HEQ5 but the CG5 is cheaper.

i wouldn't worry about the weight of it though, its pretty light in my opinion :D

Astrobaby that all makes sense,

Are the CG5 goto and the HEQ5 more or less the same or would you have a preference ?

Weight wouldn't be an issue as I'm from Yorkshire and we're known to be strong in't arm if a little weak in't ead :D

The CG5 and EQ5 are basicaly the same mount, give or take, the HEQ5 is more of a scaled down EQ6 rather than a beefed up EQ5. You shouldn't have a problem carrying the HEQ5 minus the counterweights and OTA.

Peter

Archived