sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

SKYLINER AUTO FLEX TUBE-any good for imaging?

Has anyone used a Skywatcher Skyliner flex tube auto for imaging planets? I've not seen any images on here from such a setup? Its my goal to upgrade from my skymax 127 to a skyliner 250 auto so i can carry on imaging and have the benefit of observing DSO's in much greater detail.

Is the tracking good enough for webcam video streaming?

Only for short exposures. Field rotation will kill any hope of long exposure AP.

As Russ says, Lunar and Planetary will be great. The 12" will pull out lots of detail.

I wouldn't waste much time on DSOs though - maybe have a crack at the Orion Neb and some of the other brighter ones, but don't expect great things, then you won't be disappointed!

Only for short exposures. Field rotation will kill any hope of long exposure AP.

As Russ says, Lunar and Planetary will be great. The 12" will pull out lots of detail.

I wouldn't waste much time on DSOs though - maybe have a crack at the Orion Neb and some of the other brighter ones, but don't expect great things, then you won't be disappointed!

Don't waste time observing DSOs? I assume that's what you mean as i'm talking about imaging planets only.

This is gonna sound odd, but if the motors are up to the job, you should be able to get some reasonable deep sky images with it. If you understand that you're limited. I did some deep sky imaging with my NexStar AltAz mount and an 80mm scope and picked up things like the bubble nebula with an unmodded SLR (ok, it took some 160 subs of 40 seconds to do it). If you have a dSLR, and feel the urge, try it, you may well be pleasantly surprised.

Don't waste time observing DSOs? I assume that's what you mean as i'm talking about imaging planets only.
I think the point Andrew was making was don't waste time imaging DSOs with this scope. Obviously, observing DSOs is the forte of a scope like this, it's just that they're not so good for imaging them without a driven equatorial mount.

I think the point Andrew was making was don't waste time imaging DSOs with this scope. Obviously, observing DSOs is the forte of a scope like this, it's just that they're not so good for imaging them without a driven equatorial mount.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is essentially where I was coming from.

It should be spot on for planetary imaging, although i did find one thread on CN that said it was very easy to knock the planet out of view. Have a read here:

Telescope Reviews: Skywatcher 12" GOTO andTracking Flextube Dobsonian

Cheers Russ! Now i remember seeing that thread a while back...thought i'd read somewhere about tracking issues. Does not look a major problem as my skymax often moves slightly when i insert the camera.

John i like your style! Beating the system is something I always strive for and yes i do have the urge but sadly not a SLR :)

No worries Andrew I am aware of Alt/Az limitations on DSO imaging :D

Thanks for your comments guys it would be great if anyone out there who has imaged with the said scope could share their images:headbang:

I seem to remember Paul Money did a review in SAN last year of the flextube auto and did get some reasonable snaps of solar system objects. Though short exposure photography of nearby objects is possible, it really is more of an observing scope :)