1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Lightbridge / truss dobsonians

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I have had a 12" lightbridge for a while now but never seem to be able to collimate it well even with a laser collimator. There is also some talk of the secondary mirror needing to be slightly offset on a fast scope like the lightbridge - any help is much appreciated.

Wei

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I have had a 12" lightbridge for a while now but never seem to be able to collimate it well even with a laser collimator. There is also some talk of the secondary mirror needing to be slightly offset on a fast scope like the lightbridge - any help is much appreciated.

Wei

The off set is automatically taken care of as long as the secondary is directly below the focuser. If you can see all three primary mirror clips and the secondary looks circular when looking through a collicap then you are pretty much there, might need a little tweak to get it spot on but will be good enough for DSO's.

Echo everything else that's been said. Minutes to set up, a few more minutes to collimate (and you get better at this the more you do it), then a while for the mirrors to cool down (although that's the same with all large apertures and not something unique to the dob, in fact the truss dob is probably a little better because the OTA is split allowing better air circulation).

Realistically - my truss dob takes about 10-15 mins setup - most of which is spent undoing the bungees holding it in place in the car, and levelling the base. Then it's just a question of plonking the ota on the base, screwing up the fixing bolt, sliding the head up till it clicks into place, and adjusting the shroud.

While it cools down I get the battery out, plug in and run up the goto ready for alignment, and check the finder scopes aligned. Collimation's only needed once every 4th or 5th session. No time at all really :D

Edited by brantuk

Mine takes ~ 15mins to get set up..[once it's unloaded from the car] but I faff around ensuring it's very weill collimated, so that takes me a little longer as I use the quaint but very accurate Cheshire collimation system.

Fact is, 10mins should cover it.