740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

m13 first time

Daniel-K

last night i went to my local astro club and for the first time i have been there, there was a clear night but typical something wasnt right, the moon was up. nether the less i decide to unload my scope (only one out of 12 peeps)

as i am new to the hobby some of the guys found a few things for me and boy i must say m13 was fantastic

Welcome to the wonderful world of Globular Clusters!

I always like to put the distance to these DSOs in perspective ...

25Kly away. Those photons left M13 when guys in caves were painting pictures of spotty horses in their caves, and the first humans migrated east from Asia into the Americas over the land bridge which is not there now. Keep banging those rocks together guys! It'll all make sense sooner or later! :)

M13 provided me with my first real WOW moment in astronomy. I had a 60mm refractor, then I upgraded to a 10" dob, when I first turned it to M13 I was blown away by the sight.

That was about 20 years ago and I'm still thrilled when I see it in the eyepiece.

M13 and M5 give me serious aperture fever especially after looking at the Obsession web site and their glob comparison charts. M13 looks pretty damn good through my 10" dob but what would it look like in a 16", 18" or 20"? Amazing I suspect.

M13 and M5 give me serious aperture fever especially after looking at the Obsession web site and their glob comparison charts. M13 looks pretty damn good through my 10" dob but what would it look like in a 16", 18" or 20"? Amazing I suspect.

the guys at my local astro club have built there own 30 in dob as im new there im yet to peek through it but the storys ive been told i cant wait

the guys at my local astro club have built there own 30 in dob as im new there im yet to peek through it but the storys ive been told i cant wait

Don't look through it you'll never again be satisfied with the views through the 200 :D:D

Well if it`s cloudy beer is a good Plan B.:D

Like Kris77, the Obsession web site has put the hook in me big time for a big dob. The view i have of M13 is just what they say is normal for an 8" dob.

Ah well, one of these days.....:D

I had a look at M13 with a 20" David Lukehurst dobsonian at the SGL5 Star Party - simply amazing :D

Similarly, M51 was jaw-dropping though the same scope.

No substitute for aperture with objects like these although dark skies do great things for the performance of more modest scopes as well.