Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reducing light pollution

roundycat

I made a big mistake relying on my memory regarding the national policy for light pollution reduction in Hungary. It is the Czech Republic that is forward looking. Links to some of the info are here:-

Dark Sky Czech Republic

New Czech Republic national law prohibits light pollution | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference

How many of our readers have managed to put pen to paper so far???

Dennis

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many of our readers have managed to put pen to paper so far???

In the process if doing so now Dennis!

Thanks for the updated information - I shall correct it in my letter.

Here's a Google Docs template I've just finished:

Google Docs Light Pollution Template

This will be going to my MP on Tuesday.

I've changed the Hungary thing to the Czech Republic, together with the date (2002!), and added some additional information about work that Graz in Austria did in 2005 which has some hard numbers on the potential savings to be made, both in power consumption and financials.

The stuff in Red/Bold is where you should fill your details in (duh!), and like Dennis, I would recommend re-wording so MPs are't deluged with lots of copies of the same letter.

If you are unsure who your MP is, or where to write to them, check out:

TheyWorkForYou.com

... entering your postcode to find your representative. They probably won't have a postal address listed - I followed the link on the right "Personal Website" under "More useful links for this person", where I found a mailing address.

You should also have a number of MEPs who you should be able to write to. Digging for these people seems to be a little tougher, although a reasonable start would be:

WriteToThem

... although once again they don't appear to have any mailing addresses - just a web form. If your Google-fu is strong, I suspect it shouldn't be a problem for you to find their details :D

Finally, I don't have any problem with anybody using this - you don't need to ask. I think we'd all be very interested to hear about any responses you receive from your representative, so please post anything you get back!

thanks for that ajg. I still find it faintly depressing that 'Sneaking things in under the radar' should produce about 30% more replies for less views than something that everyone here moans about on a regular basis.

Dennis

I have been most encouraged by what my local council is doing. As a Parish councillor myself, I can vouch that positive action works... but it takes time.

Best tact is to focus on the energy and maintenance costs.

Certainly, where I live, the skies ARE getting better...

See below:-

GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S NIGHT LIGHTING PROJECT

Gloucestershire County Council is on target to save more than £200,000 and cut carbon by almost 1,400 tonnes in the first year of its night lighting project.

In February 2009, the council launched a scheme to turn off some street lights in rural areas and market towns between midnight and 5.30am. This was followed in April 2009 by a street light dimming scheme where high wattage bulbs were dimmed by 35% between 10pm and 5.30am.

Both schemes have been extremely successful with £202,760 savings and a carbon reduction of 1,392 tonnes – enough to boil 90 million kettles.

In total 59 parish and town councils have already taken part in the night lighting project with 32 more signed up to start the scheme. So far 4,556 lights have been adapted for part night lighting with another 2,440 awaiting conversion.

In addition 9,540 high wattage lamps have been converted to dim after peak traffic hours. The County Council has committed to reducing its carbon footprint and energy usage and these projects have done just that. Before starting the projects, the council invited Gloucestershire Police to comment on the proposals regarding safety for pedestrians and motorists and they have confirmed the schemes are safe.

Thanks for that Steve - I will add that information to my letter and add my local councillors to the list of who gets a copy.

Not just energy and maintenance costs, but I feel that a reference project happening in the UK strengthens the message a great deal. How many of these damned potholes could be fixed for £200K? :D

• 1 month later...

I just had a reply from the Parliamentary Under Secretary for the Environment and whilst it is mostly eye wash I have at least been able to get the problem on the radar from the perspective of a humble taxpayer.

I need to study this before I reply as I want Parliament to chew on this problem, not to suck it with toothless gums.

Is it still too much to hope that people here who can be bothered to write about what they have for breakfast or their favourite Sci Fi film can at least record their misgivings about uncontrolled lighting and the waste it represents. Just a few voices in the wilderness is nowhere near enough. Once significant numbers of complaints have been made to MP's across the country then maybe questions can be asked in the House regarding just how many complaints have been received and what is government doing about it.

Dennis

post-15519-1338774611_thumb.jpg

Looks like a stock letter Dennis, as I received one myself today that's pretty much identical. My immediate impression was that it is "content free" in terms of real action, referring to numerous "encouragements" and policy stances.

Still, it would be nice to see some concerted action from the community. If we can complain about light pollution on an astro forum, what's stopping us from using the internet to complain to our MPs?

Tony

Tony, I agree that it is mostly a form letter and doesn't really say anything. I will reply anyway asking why there is such reluctance on the part of government to force lighting manufacturers to only market sensible designs, we all know what that means.

You should not be able to buy a bad light from B&Q, quite simply it should be illegal for them or anyone else to sell lights that blight others.

The biggest problem is inertia. By that I mean the inertia of people who read and write to this forum amongst others. If the 3,000 plus members here cannot be bothered to make the effort and would rather write about their breakfast or their favourite music what hope is there?

Dennis

Hi, wrote to our local council about the awful lights in the park behind our house.

Here is the letter...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have lived in Bolsover and the village of Pinxton for the past 5 years with my wife and two daughters and love the area and community.

We live on T~~~~~ Street with our garden backing onto the park.

Both myself and my wife are very concerned by the brightness of the lights on the park which are left on all night long.

Surely this is a massive waste of money in terms of energy consumed and maintenance? It also creates a horrible orange glow in both our youngest daughters and our own bedroom at night.

Would it be possible for these park lights to be switched off at a certain time, say midnight?

This would help save a lot of money for the council and be a lot more peaceful for my daughter and ourselves.

I look forward to hearing your response.

Many thanks,

Gavin Morris

Let's wait and see hey??!!

When writing this letter Gavin, you might like to cite to the council, how much work is being done in other Parish's and bourough councils up and down the land to turn non-essential lights off at midnight or dim lights that are required (but not so bright)

This might help your cause. I would start with your local Parish council. As a councillor myself, we are duty bound to look at local issues like this and raise them wherever we can to the Bourough / district council.

We are very persuasive and get good support. Perhaps you will have good luck with your cause ?

Rgds

Steve

Archived