SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Accessory Case Recommendation?

Hi,

Since starting this hobby a while back, I've managed to accumulate a whole pile of "stuff" that I need or might need on any given night of imaging/observing. This includes eyepieces, filters, reducers, Barlows, diagonals, Webcams, DSLR, GOTO controls, OAGs, power tank, various electronic gadgets for the mount, etc... Currently I "cart" this around by piling it all into a small cardboard box and when that overflows, it all goes into a larger laundry basket for transport.

Since this is proving to be very inconvenient and totally disorganised, not to mention not particularly good treatment for the kit, I'm looking into how to better store this gear for transporting around and having it handy when I'm actually out trying to use it.

Can anyone recommend any good storage / transport solutions that work for them? Any pics or web links would be great!

David

Another vote here for the Maplins case. I did exactly the same as you gathering bits over the months. The maplins cases are very convenient to have on a camping table next to the scope - I pick the one for the gear I'm using on any individual night. They'll protect your collection and very convenient to pick up and stow in the boot or caravan. :)

Hi,

Since starting this hobby a while back, I've managed to accumulate a whole pile of "stuff" that I need or might need on any given night of imaging/observing. This includes eyepieces, filters, reducers, Barlows, diagonals, Webcams, DSLR, GOTO controls, OAGs, power tank, various electronic gadgets for the mount, etc... Currently I "cart" this around by piling it all into a small cardboard box and when that overflows, it all goes into a larger laundry basket for transport.

Since this is proving to be very inconvenient and totally disorganised, not to mention not particularly good treatment for the kit, I'm looking into how to better store this gear for transporting around and having it handy when I'm actually out trying to use it.

Can anyone recommend any good storage / transport solutions that work for them? Any pics or web links would be great!

David

Hi, OzDave. You need a big one. Does this accessories luggage bag big enough for you? Here is the picture:

ux_a08092700ux0014_ux_n.jpg

I've a couple of Maplins cases, one houses my 20x80 binos, the other is destined to house my UWAn set (once completed). Also any chain DIY store will have small cases of various sizes, I have a small one for all my cheapo EPs (I used the excess foam from fitting my binos to line this one). I'll be looking for a suitable case for my WAs, which should be arriving in the office this afternoon! :)

Another vote for the Maplins case from me - I got one for £9.99 as a seconds. Nothing wrong with it but they often go at £14 and its a steal for that.

Heres a pic...... This ones used to lug the finder scopes, cables, torches, tool packs and collimators.

post-14805-133877450989_thumb.jpg

Alrighty then...looks like Maplins cases are pretty popular and also maybe the Jessops ones. But generally speaking, the fitted foam style seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice,

David

Hi David

I use a couple of large rugged cases from Maplins for the valuable, fragile stuff like EPs and cameras etc; £19.99 each

Rugged Case (Large) : Caravan & Camping : Maplin

I'd thoroughly recommend them and I've got all of my leads in a cheapy fisherman's tackle / plastic tool box which only cost me about fiver from a "bargain" store.

Steve

Archived