SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

21mm Ethos - Should I or shouldn't I ?

While Telescope House has their 10% off sale should I get the 21mm Ethos? I'd have to sell my 6mm and 13mm Ethos to pay for it though. I was planning on getting the 3.7mm Ethos this Autumn so that would replace the 6mm as my high power Ethos, so the only real sacrifice would be losing the 13mm Ethos.:)

Should I go for it or just leave my eyepiece collection as it is? Decisions, decisions. :D

John

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took delivery of a ES100 20mm today, hopefully I can give you a quick opinion on it later if that would be of any interest John?

Thanks, I'd appreciate that info very much. Buying the 21mm Ethos is a SERIOUS decision financially and if the ES100 20 is a good un then it would save me a fair bit. :)

John

Hi John, I find that I use mid power most, if I had a 13E, I would be very reluctant to part with it !! 110 degree 3.7, wonder what's next ? Ed.

Yes, I think that's my take on it as well. I'd love an E21 but I would not wish to part with my E13 to get one. Besides my 20mm and 31mm T5's, while probably not quite as good as an E21, are none too shabby :)

Hmmm :)

Explore Scientific 20mm 100º Series Eyepiece - 2" £ 398.99

or

TeleVue 21.0mm Ethos Eyepiece 2.0" with 10% discount £620.72

To get the ES 20mm 100º I'd only have to sell the 6mm Ethos. Starting to look like a plan. :D

John

I feel Im in the same boat here. I'm thinking to myself - should I take advantage of the 10% off and get the 21mm ethos. There never available second hand. ummmmm.

Its alot of money though!

Problem is deep down if you got the explore scientific you will always wish you had got the ethos.

Its human nature.

Plus if you ever wanted to get rid of the televue there will always be people ready to pay very close to what you actually paid for it.

I don't know what the case would be with the ES.

There's always the thought that there will be another Telescope House 10% off sale in a few months time. :D

John

End of August perhaps, save up and get the 21 Ethos and keep your current lot unless there is one that is not being used.

What I do in these circumstances is just buy the blumming thing! (It helps to shout GERONIMO... as you cliick the confirm button. If it works for a Tak FSQ it will work for anything.

Olly

I hear ya!! If in doubt just buy it, I've never regretted spending money I can't really afford on astro gear.

I hear ya!! If in doubt just buy it, I've never regretted spending money I can't really afford on astro gear.

I have regrets on some stuff .......... but not Tele Vue :D

I've just hit the button on a £65 secondhand Vixen 30mm 2" and broke out in a cold sweat about it......£620 i wouldn't be sleeping.

On a more serious note, i was speaking to TH yesterday trying to buy their Revelation 12 dob at a 10% discount but it was out of stock so they wouldn't. But the guy said, if it makes you feel better we have another 10% day in August. If you wait, you'll then have the choice of the ES or Ethos at 10%.

Personally i wouldn't sell the 13mm for the 21mm. The 13mm is a far more useful eyepiece, the 21mm is just a tad to low power to be a workhorse. And with my sensible hat on, you could have the ES100 and the 3.7mm Ethos for the price of the 21mm.

When people say the 13mm is too useful what focal length or ratio are we talking about here?

Good point, i was only thinking about me. With my 8" f6 dob the 13mm would be the perfect workhorse. The 21mm would be merely a low power stepping stone to using the 13mm.

I think john has a 1600mm focal length 14" Orion Optics dob? Which for me would make the 17mm Ethos the more useful eyepiece.....sell the 13mm, forget the 21mm and buy the 17mm Ethos :D

I think I'm going to hold off a bit on the 21mm Ethos decision. I'll definitely be getting the 3.7mm Ethos SX as soon as it's released so once I know when it's being released then I'll make my plans re: 21mm Ethos or ES20. :D

John

Archived