Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D 10MP DSLR any good for me?

Daniel-K

If you can mount the camera on your 200p you can easily do some wide field astrophotography. For normal use a tripod is not essential.

If you cannot mount the camera on your scope it is still possible to get reasonable constellation shots on a fixed tripod (30s exposure)

Dave

what else would i need? maybe a tripod? for astro? will this do light exposures?

To attach the camera to the scope, you will need a T-ring and a nosepiece to fit inside your eyepiece holder.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. With reflectors, I gather there can be a problem getting close enough for focus. Suggest you wait to hear from someone who uses one before purchasing the above.

The 1000d will produce good results. You can use it on a static tripod for short widefield exposures, there's a tutorial on that in the imaging section. You can mount it piggy back on the scope with the lens fitted for tracked widefield, and in theory, although you may need to adjust some things on the scope, you can use it at prime focus for imaging.

For option one, you need a tripod. For option two, it makes things easier if you have a ballhead and a quick release plate mounted on the tube rings, but they are not essential, you can just bolt the camera directly on top. For the third you need a T ring in EF mount (for canon) and a suitable fitting for the eyepiece barrel, either a nose piece or if the focuser has it, you can screw the T ring directly onto it.

The Canon 1000D is a fantastic camera for astro imaging - it's light weight and would work well with your 200P. Additionally the 10Mb image size it's quite manageable and doesn't require the lastest computer to process. If you have an equatorial mount (I don't know if the 200p does or not) then you can can get stuck into some very rewarding imaging. If you have a look at my album, the images were mostly taken with a 1000D on a scope the same specs as your 200P (mounted on an EQ6 mount and a guidescope). If you can get one for a good price then you won't be dissappointed.:)

1000D is superb VFM... It is still my main astro DSLR at the moment and I do have quite a few to choose from...

The 18-55 EF-S is ok to get you started but keep an eye out for a second hand Canon EF 50/1.8 Mk II without a bit of surgery the EF-S lenses cant be used with clip in filters the EF ones can...

Peter...

I purchased a 1000d a few months back, superb camera, works really well, cannot fault, and it should focus no problems on a 200p. I've tried it and it works!

how have you got it to attch to your scope ?

Have you got the rack and pinion focuser. On mine I can unscrew the 1.25" EP holder tube from the end of the focuser. This leaves a male T thread. Take the lens off your 1000d, fit a T adaptor and screw this onto the T thread.

post-17592-133877450262_thumb.jpg

post-17592-13387745027_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877450277_thumb.jpg

You could use a Max DSLR Camera Adaptor. (About halfway down the page.)

They "... fit SLR and DSLR cameras to all telescopes with 2" eyepiece holders.

The Max DSLR fits directly to the camera body without the compromise of a separate T ring adaptor. The ... bayonet fittings ... allow wider throats and significantly lower overall profile than conventional T-thread adaptors. ... as much as 4mm in aperture and as much as 6mm overall length ..."

Hey, check your local asdas, as I bought one from there for £249, which is £120 cheaper than other high street retailers. Also if you have a local Currys/pc world/comet, you can get an extra 10% off the £120 difference, bringing it down to £238. Hope this helps.

Archived