SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

25 Pane Mosaic - 23 May 2010

jgs001

C80ED, QHY5v with red filter, Celestron Ultima x2.

250 of 1000 frames, with a 250 frame dark (not sure whether this does much), stacked and wavelets in regi5.1, merged in iMerge, tweaked for contrast and a gentle high pass in gimp. I was trying something out with the camera and this was shot in 12-10 bit companding mode, it seems to have improved the fineness of the camera at the expense of some dynamic range.

25p-250of1000mosaicedit1200.jpg

Click for bigger.

Cheers guys... I'm not totally convinced on the camera mode... 8 bit may not be as good, but the camera has a larger dynamic range and I think that probably helps out more.

• 2 weeks later...

What with Pete's mosaic of the sun, now John's mosaic of the moon, my eyes are seriously receiving a huge overload - but I'm loving it.

I wish I had your patience john, this is a seriously good image and very inspiring to an observing like me. I shall have to have a lie down now.

James

Archived