SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ1 setting circle help

Llamanaut

Hi all, just got a second hand but great condition eq1 mount and have been playing with it for a few days. Ive aligned the ra axis with polaris and set the latitude for my location. I zeroed in on Regulus being near the celestial equator and reset the ra to regulus's ra...this is where i get confused :D

Ive aligned with polaris, ive set latitude ive reset ra but the dec reading shows 80 degrees when pointing at regulus instead of the 11 or so degrees it should be. What have i done wrong and how can i use the setting circles with a degree of accuracy. Im not after pinpoint accuracy but the right way round would be nice :)

Thanks Peter, the dec scale is factory fitted so no grub screw... it does appear to me to be 90 degree out, i take it im pointing the right dec axis at polaris? the way ive set it the lower end is furthest from polaris so the whole dec axis starts off low and heads up at the same angle as the pole

I suppose, if you are hunting the invisible, they may be of some assistance, but Telrad assisted starhopping seems so much easier. But then again, with my myopic eyesight, I can't read the graduations on my setting surckuls anyway........

i have a red dot finder on my bresser which is very useful, but just wanted to learn how to use setting circles... im after the leo triplets which have so far elluded me, setting circles would point me to the precise area. You can pnly use telrad or a red dot finder if you can see your prey

Archived