740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Sky-Watcher 90deg right-angle finders

Can someone tell me: On those Sky-Watcher 90 degree finderscopes - you can easily rotate the eyepiece to any position?

I'm thinking about getting one (like a 6x30 or similar) but there's not much point if the eyepiece ends up pointing at the ground when I use my EQ mount! :)

Hi, I had a SW 8x50 90 degree finder when I had a 10" dob. Yes you can rotate the eyepiece on these to any position but it would be a fiddly & time consuming thing to do each time you slew an EQ mount to a new position. If you can get one with a refractor style diagonal then you could loosen the set screw and easily rotate the diagonal and eyepiece. But with my SW the whole finder would need to be turned within its mount & realigned. Unless of course they have been redesigned since I had mine about 5 years ago. Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502

The Orion 9x50 is a good one - rotatable, nice wide field, crystal clear - and fits any Skywatcher mounting shoe. On an eq mount you'd have to rotate the ota in it's rings into a workable position at times whatever the finder anyway. So it won't need re-aligning. Unless the ota is attached without rings it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Edited by brantuk

Oh that's annoying...

The problem is that I keep (genuinely) injuring myself by having to crane my neck into unnatural twists in order to look through the straight viewfinder.

Whilst straight-through ones are easier to line-up your target with, that doesn't count in this case, since my PC has got the mount 99% there so the target's already roughly in the finder. I just need to get it the final 1%. I can't do this with through the F15 scope - it's too far off initially and you can't get low enough magnification for that.

On an eq mount you'd have to rotate the ota in it's rings into a workable position at times whatever the finder anyway. Unless the ota is attached without rings

Well, that's just the problem: You can't rotate Sky-Watcher Mak Pro scopes - the dovetail is fixed directly to the tube; there's no rings involved at all.

If you want one with a rotatable back the Stellarvie F50 does it, It does suffer a small amount of image shift with rotation of the rear end but its still amazingly good.

As a finder its probably the best there is but they aint cheap.

It may not be ideal but on my Skywatcher 9x50 RA finder I just twist the diagonal bit round to suit. It loosens it which isn't ideal but I only turn it about a quarter turn so it doesn't affect the focus - not an "official way" but it works for me.

James