Narrowband

Satellite Flare?

Was setting up just after ten pm, and as I was aligning my finderscope on Saturn, I saw a bright flare, mag -7 to -8 just SE of Alkaid in UMa, travelling from South to East, through my local zenith. I caught it just at it's peak, then it quickly faded. Time at the end of it's flare was 22h 20m 20s (BST).

It's not listed as an Iridium flare, and I can't think of anything else that would flare that brightly. Did anyone else see it? Does anyone know of a website where you can enter an observation, and the site gives the name of the satellite?, if such a site exists.

Any help would be gratefully recieved... :)

It sounds like an Iridium. Heavens Above only seems to list currently active devices, but there are more up there. Have a look at calsky.com. It doesn't provide what you ask, but it does show all the satellite flares.

Thanks jgs. I've had a look at Calsky but nothing anywhere that bright at that time from my location. Unfortunatley I wasn't wearing my specs at the time, so I can't give more precise tracking info. Heyho...

Archived