Narrowband

Want to upgrade my eyepieces a little.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Skywatcher Plossls and the Televue version? Would Televue be a worthy upgrade?

I would love to replace my SW plossls with something a little more classy in terms of clarity, contrast, etc, but can't afford the megabucks for the top range stuff.

Thanks. :D

Basically, the Televue plossls are as good eyepieces as you can get in terms of quality and images. I used to doubt that the extra cost was worth it but now I have some I wouldn't part with them for the world.

I had a 10mm skywatcher junk eyepiece and also a very good silvertop plossl. The skywatcher seemed ok till I used the silvertop which made everything shaper, clearer and brighter. Using my Televue 10.5mm made it seem as if a sort of fog had just lifted.

They are eyepieces designed and built to last permanently.

They only lack the large field of more expensive eyepieces. The only other thing is that they still have the same poor eye relief in smaller focal lengths. I just can't use the 8mm for example.

you thought about the radians, they have uniform eye relief across the board

Thanks for the heads up...but a little to rich for my pocket at the moment...:) My next big upgrade will be in many years' time...:D

Part Timer, thanks. I've come to the end of my tether with the SW plossls and want to push for better quality. Just got to wait for my wages!!

If you do go the Televue route Telescope House usually has a 10% off sale on the bank holiday weekend. Worth waiting a week to find out if they are going to have one this year.

John

Might just do that, John. :D

Hi, If you barlow a mid power plossl, you get high power with good eye relief. A quality barlow, like a Televue, does not degrade the view, unless it pushes the magnification too high. I would not part with my TV barlow, it's always in my eyepiece case. Ed.

You mght pick up the more upmarket TVs second hand. They really are good. We have four and last night I used a guest's 16 Nagler. Just incredible. (His scope was pretty darned good as well!)

Olly

glad you said this mate as this will be my next purchase (in about October!).

re TV Plossls, I agree with others that TV are excellent.

I went down the used route and you can get used Radians for about £100 in excellent condition generally. I am not keen on the tight eye relief of most plossls below about 10mm but I bet they (TV ones) are as good visually as anything else.

i think with EPs you pretty much get what you pay for.

oh, sorry for the bit of confussion in earlier posts, the radians suggestion was for part timer as he needs better eye relief. i myself do not but a few radians are on my wish list too :D

i think with EPs you pretty much get what you pay for.

oh, sorry for the bit of confussion in earlier posts, the radians suggestion was for part timer as he needs better eye relief. i myself do not but a few radians are on my wish list too :D

Thanks.

I use the TS TMB planetary's for my 8 and 9mm eyepieces. Similar to the radians in spec and performance but a awful lot cheaper!

As I've said in other threads, these are the only lower priced alternatives I've used which really are worth keeping. I regard them with the same affection as my Televue plossls which says a lot!

If I eventually get a larger appeture scope I will simply get some shorter focal length planetary's.

I did consider radians but I can get two new tmb's for less than most second hand radians and there is not an enormous difference in performance or build (although there is a difference) so for me it was, as they say, a no-brainer!

I also thought that eyepieces weren't worth that sort of money, but then I bought some Televues and I was wrong. I started off with a 32mm Plossl, a beautiful eyepiece, then I gradauated up to Radians, then a 27mm Panoptic, stunning, and a 13mm Nagler, my most used eyepiece. In my f/4.9 dob they are superb, sharp across the field of view, no kidney beaning or seagulls to be seen.

Worth every penny.

Thanks to you guys I have just purchased a couple of Tele Vues...:)

You've done it now. You're on that slippery slope that leads to Televue addiction and before you know it a Nagler or two will have sneaked into your eyepiece collection and you'll be futilely trying to resist the lure of the Ethos. :D

John

You've done it now. You're on that slippery slope that leads to Televue addiction and before you know it a Nagler or two will have sneaked into your eyepiece collection and you'll be futilely trying to resist the lure of the Ethos. :D

John

Oh, I've given in resisting already. :) As soon as I am able to, I'll be saving up for those exquisite EPs. :D

you may have to sell a guitar .............. :D

Cool i have a guitar that my nephew has left here for the last 6 yrs. I could sell that on ebay.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

He has even left a Sonor drumkit in my garage worth about £3000.

I could buy some very nice EPs for that.

Archived