740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Saturn Ring Angle Feb - May 2010

AztecastroMcJ

Been cloudy for last few days again so decided to reprocess my 1st saturn capture,

then choose my fav process out of other captures i have got so far, i wanted to compare ring angle changes,

so decided to put them all together.

i then found helpful site, loads of info

(1st few pics seem to be missing but scroll down a bit and theres loads of great info on Saturn)

http://sites.google.com/site/larrygerstman/saturn-s-rings

which allowed me to work out approx ring angle for my images,

i then used imerge and phixr to create final pics, and i am very happy with outcome.

NOTE THAT SATURN'S RING ANGLE IS DECREASING IN JANUARY FROM 4.903 DEG TO A MINIMUM OF 1.670 DEG ON MAY 26

BEFORE OPENING UP TO OVER 10 DEG BY THE END OF THE YEAR.

THIS IS DUE TO THE EARTH'S VARYING ANGULAR POSITION IN ITS OWN ORBIT THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.

(taken from site above)

other info

also max angle of rings poss is around 27degrees

next time rings wide open again will be around 2017

last time was around 2002-2003

and next perihelion is around 2032

first 2 pics are 100% capture size

1st pic has added text

2nd is 90 degree rotated to left

3rd pic is 150% capture size

also gap between planet and rings seems to be visible on all but last 2 pics in May,

prob due to aperture size of my 127mm Mak, and Tilt of rings being less than 2 degrees

as i have seen some larger scopes still getting the gap quite clear.

Any comments appreciated,

Will be good to add to these in coming Months and Years ahead.

James

post-16858-133877448516_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877448522_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877448527_thumb.jpg

Great work James! Very well demonstrated how the rings have closed up again much to my frustration lol Great set of images...i must say if there was an award for rookie planetary imager of the year you would get my vote, outstanding!!

Nice collection you have there , good to see the difference in ring angle . Pitty i picked 2010 to start astronomy and not earlier would have been nice to capture the rings open guess i'll have to wait a while lol .

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Saturn's not going to get much better throughout the rest of this decade for UK observers due to the fact that the planet's now heading along a part of the ecliptic which starts to get very low in the sky for us. In 2017, Saturn will be spending its time moving between Ophiuchus and Sagittarius and be close to as low as it can get as seen from the UK.

Jupiter will be good though!

Nice collection you have there , good to see the difference in ring angle . Pitty i picked 2010 to start astronomy and not earlier would have been nice to capture the rings open guess i'll have to wait a while lol .

yeh shouldn't have to wait to long tho as end of Dec this year,

rings at 10 degrees will be very impressive,

thx 4 comments

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Saturn's not going to get much better throughout the rest of this decade for UK observers due to the fact that the planet's now heading along a part of the ecliptic which starts to get very low in the sky for us. In 2017, Saturn will be spending its time moving between Ophiuchus and Sagittarius and be close to as low as it can get as seen from the UK.

Jupiter will be good though!

thx for info Pete, haven't checked Altitude of Saturn in coming yrs,

so altho not what i wanted to hear its still gud to know,

well esp gud to hear Jupiter will save the day, or the Year(s)

as def my fav planet, like many others i imagine !

who needs Rings anyway ?