Most portable Newt?

ollypenrice

Thank you YesYes, I didn't get it either!! Damn, shouldn't have admitted it. Too late now.

Very good, Peter. Tres drole.

I am having a hard time with the EM200 autoguided - it is far better without it at the moment - hence the lack of time. More experiments tonight and someone selling something or other woke me up in my daytime sleepy time today. I hope their English is not as good as mine!!!

Olly

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had no idea newt was an animal's name... ;-)

So the second oldest gag in the book would have been lost on you then?

"Why do you call him Tiny?"

"Because he's my newt" (groan^umpteen zillion)

YesYes, the English language has some diadvantages by comparison with German. For instance, we have no single word meaning 'To stop outside the library in a Volkswagen on a wet thursday in order to collect some cream buns.'

However, we do like our spelling. Take the perfectly logical 'luxury yacht' for instance. How perfectly obvious that you would spell it like that. The French are as bad, pouring in the vowels since consonants must be expensive here. The nearby village of Mereuil, for instance. Or Eyguians. The Basques have nicked all the consonants, I think. Their names consist only of the letters x, t and r. However, when pronounced they come out like Ishtebarria, which seems impossible.

Olly

Take the perfectly logical 'luxury yacht' for instance. How perfectly obvious that you would spell it like that.

It's spelled "Throatwobbler Mangrove", at any rate according to Monty Python's Flying Circus (the episode with the exploding zoo).

'To stop outside the library in a Volkswagen on a wet Thursday in order to collect some cream buns.'

Surely you meant "red Volkswagen Golf GTi with hazard lights on"? Just Volkswagen is not specific enough... :D

Though I would be interested to know what that that single German word is that you are referring to .. ;-)

I do miss some more philosophical words in English, such as Heimat, Sehnsucht, Heimweh, Schadenfreude and many more...

But I have to say that I'm beginning to forget some German words. I never thought that would happen so quickly.

Anyway, just passing the time while waiting for these pictures of the micro-newt...

Just curious, but being bi-lingual (or multi-lingual) do you think in English or German?

I was rubbish at languages. The best I could muster was 'Wo ist der Root Beer Hall?'!

That is a good question... Mostly in English now but sometimes still German. Interestingly, when I remember conversations with my friends before I moved, I do seem to remember them as if they had happened in English... weird...

I also remember a few dreams that were in English, though I don't remember my dreams most of the time...

I also learned Russian for 9 years (forcefully, I'm from former East Germany) but I remember almost nothing; couldn't make a single sentence any more...

Still waiting for them pics, Olly ... ;-))

I do miss some more philosophical words in English, such as Heimat, Sehnsucht, Heimweh, Schadenfreude and many more...

Well, we Brits do have schadenfreude, it's just that we use your word for it ... it's not considered good form to laugh at other people's misfortune. (Unless they're bankers or MPs.)

I know, you also nicked some other words from German, such as Sauerkraut. On the other hand, German uses more and more English words, some of which are used totally wrong. For example the Germans call a mobile phone "Handy" and voice mail is called "Mailbox" :D

Just curious, but being bi-lingual (or multi-lingual) do you think in English or German?

it really depends.. When I'm thinking something between the lines of "what do I want for breakfast" it usually goes on in my head in my language. Then if I'm writing something, or am in a fast-flowing conversation in Russian or English (especially after couple of beers :D ) I believe I tend to think in that language..

Marius

Archived