1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Has anyone tried one of these for imaging?

yesyes

I've been keeping an eye on one of these mirror lenses for DSLRs. There's a 500mm F8.0 lens on ebay here:

500mm Tele Lens for Canon EOS 50D 40D 500D 450D 400D 5D on eBay (end time 21-May-10 04:29:37 BST)

Would these be any good for wide-ish field imaging? I could mount the camera on top of my scope with goto and let it track this way.

Has anyone any experience with these lenses for astro imaging? They do seem to be a miniature telescope...

It might be ok for the Moon and planets but i'd doubt it would be any good for deep sky images as it would'nt let enough light in.

A word of warning, i once purchsed one of these "cheap" telephoto type lenses and the magnification was there, but image quality was absolute rubbish.

Try and find someone who has used one, before you buy, would be my advice.

Edited by Mick UK

There's a slighly more expensive 500mm F6.3 mirror lens here:

Samyang 500mm f6.3 ED Mirror Tele Lens for Canon EOS on eBay (end time 17-Jun-10 18:06:01 BST)

You reckon that would better than a F8?

Would you get around to pointing it at the sky in the near future? It looks really interesting for wide field but as Mick said it might not let enough light in...

On the other hand, being 500mm and F8 it would have an aperture of about 62mm. Not too bad...

There is (was) also a 800mm F8 here:

800mm Mirror Lens for Canon 50D 40D 30D 450D 400D 1000D on eBay (end time 19-May-10 13:25:57 BST)

hi,

I would say f8 is a bit slow for DSOs. Also, imaging stars is the most demanding thing you can ask from a lens due to the stars being points of light and it's very easy to detect any distortion of the stars in the final image or any abberations. I would be a bit cautious until you know how good they are.

I picked up mine from the buy and sell on here for half price and had a 2x TC thrown in with the deal... Like the reviews say its ok if you use it within it limitations and for £50 it was a bargain...

If I get a chance i'll point it at the sky for you over the weekend...

Peter...