SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TLP?

richbyers

seen a very bright speck of light on the moon's southern pole last night, right at the tip on the terminator and the only thing i could come up with was that it was transient lunar phenomena, which i dont really know about so is this correct or am i not understanding TLP right?

Also if it wasnt does anyone know what it could have been (alien with gigantic mirror?!:D)

cheers

rich

Almost certainly a mountain peak catching the sunlight. You often see various features catching the light within the pitch black shadow of the Moon. As the Sun rises, high peaks catch the sunlight first.

A TLP is normally a very difficult to see colour or brightness change in a specific area of the Lunar surface (some places being more likely than others).

I agree that it was probably a reflection. I have looked for the TLP phenomenon for almost all my observing life. There are out-gassing events which have occured in the past. There are certain areas of the Moon where these TLP events have been regularly plotted. A Google search is the best idea on this subject if you would like more info. A fascinating subject for me.

Glen.

Look all along the terminator - you will see dozens (sometimes) of isolated "lights" which are mountain tops catching the first rays of the Sun at Lunar sunrise. (Or last rays in the Lunar evening, after full moon)

I have often seen bits of the moon along the terminator that look as if they are floating in space. Am i to take it that these are mountain,cliff tops that are being highlighted by the sun while the lower levels are not?

I always wondered what was the cause of it.

Archived