SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Annoying Neighbours

In a previous life I was into aviation which always attracted attention for 'noise' from the neighbours to the airfield.

When I visited a friend who lived in the USA he lived on an estate where you had to be a private pilot, you had to have a light aircraft to own a house there. The houses where laid out around the grass runways. Because everyone was into the same thing no neighbour problems.

Perhaps we should block buy the next new housing estate, nice dark site, no street lights, pier/obsy(select when paying deposit) in every garden.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that is an idea, instead of a garden shed each house has a custom built observatory.

Minimal street lighting...cor what a great thing that would be...not quite in the same league as the one in the states though.

They had a rota so that everyone had to do a stint on the radio in the control tower!!!!

Mind you money was no object. We drove up the guys drive way, the drive gates opened automatically, the double garage doors automatically opened and we parked. We walked past his speed boat and camper van and through the door at the back of the garage into his 'hangar' where he kept the Cessna 172.

When you opened the hangar doors the taxi way light can on automatically.

I'm pretty sure there's an astro-community somewhere in the southwest USA... very pricey though, way beyond my reach. IIRC, it was launched when an entrepreneur had a brainstorm and purchased propery out in the desert for a song. Sure wish my ideas would pay off like that. :eek:

I'm pretty sure there's an astro-community somewhere in the southwest USA... very pricey though, way beyond my reach. IIRC, it was launched when an entrepreneur had a brainstorm and purchased propery out in the desert for a song. Sure wish my ideas would pay off like that. :eek:

I think this is the place you are thinking of Talitha Home

Although me & my neighbour get on really well, he has, on the side of his house, the most sensitive security light I've ever had the displeasure to come across. Unfortunately, its wired into his mains circuit with no power switch, so asking him to turn it off is not really an option. Again on the minus side he's in his 80's so I cant really expect him to get up there & remove the bulb or put insulating tape over the sensor.

So, I ended up with a happy medium. I've constructed a portable, take down barrier that I use for my observing sessions. I made it from nothing more than material from my local diy shop, costing in total under a tenner.

This arrangement is working very well, the barrier works better than I'd hoped for. It successfully blocks any movement made by myself to the sensor, therefore the light does not come on at all. Once I've finished observing I take down the barrier then have the security light to illuminate my way when packing up.

I do consider myself fairly lucky as I've only got 1 security light to deal with.........streetlights are a different ball game altogether.

Archived