Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Edgardinho

Annoying Neighbours

Well I'm sitting outside waiting and waiting and waiting. Seeing is great tonight for the first time in a while but my corner neighbour has decided to leave the house with a bedroom light blinding me out.

This happens a lot and I'm starting to get a bit narked. Grr.

a lot of people build wooden shielding or use 'blackout' sheets (some use an inside out black T shirt on their heads) to prevent extraneous light affecting your observing. you may look a plonker but hey, it's dark anyway!

Used to happen to me a lot when I was renting a house a couple of year ago.. they didn't even have blinds or anything! I got really fed up one night, so next morning I went to Wilkinsons, bought a set of wooden blinds, knocked on his door, and kindly offered him a new decor :D It worked!

Marius

Well I'm definitely considering a screen because that wasn't on. I was forced out to the side of a dark road (which incidentally is an excellent all round place to view as long as I can stop being scared of the strange animal noises!).

The light was turned off about 10 mins before I got back apparently. The missus was on lookout and for that I suppose she deserves new blinds, not the neighbours!

Tactics time!

post-19406-133877447972_thumb.jpg

you could just explain to them about your hobby and would they mind closing the curtains, if they havent got any how about going halfs with them? Failing that throw a house brick through their window

you could just explain to them about your hobby and would they mind closing the curtains, if they havent got any how about going halfs with them? Failing that throw a house brick through their window

this is actually a good point as I bet most people don't even think about it.

my two teenage daughters seem to think that once a light is on it should stay on until they go to bed - I try to educate them but often it's a case of throwing little stones at their window to get them to turn off the blumming things.

A screen would be a good solution as it would stop you getting wound up. you could easily create one from some 'blackout curtains on a washing line/tent pegged into the grass / bricks on the bottom or similar.

My neighbour always has the window open and the 'big' light on. So, I always stand outside whilst the scope is cooling and start whistling to a really annoying tune over and over. Only takes a few minutes before she gets up to close the window and the curtains!

Luckily, out the back from me is a golf course, so very little annoying floodlighting etc. Shame about the awful LP of Manchester :-(

outside lights are another problem i.e. 150w even 500w this is when a good quality airifle comes in to it`s own

I have big security lights just behind my garden and the same problem with my neighbours. The blasted bedroom light is on for most of the night, every night!

I had that trouble last night with my neighbour. She decided to switch on the 2x500W halogens to light her garden at 10.30. They were still on at 1.30.

Well peeved as it was a perfectly clear sky too!:D

I also have a next door neighbour who keeps his bathroom light on all night. I had a word with him last week and offered to buy him a blind so he could keep the light on without it pouring out of the window.

Since then the light goes off about 10.30pm and I have not had to buy him a blind (yet).

The only problem with lights that i have had is, out the front of my house, they have built a whole new block of houses, so now they have stupidly and annoyingly put up a massive street light! Totally ruining my great view of Venus at the moment and also keeping me up late at night! Grrr. I should really get a petition going. Either that or a bulldozer.

I had a problem with a security light on my neighbour's garage. I won't say how I fixed it, but I, er, 'fixed' it.

i enjoy many hobbies and i am quite skilled in some of them, my air rifle is still to hand and my aim is still true.

when diplomacy fails, let loose the pellet of war! :)

The only problem with lights that i have had is, out the front of my house, they have built a whole new block of houses, so now they have stupidly and annoyingly put up a massive street light! Totally ruining my great view of Venus at the moment and also keeping me up late at night! Grrr. I should really get a petition going. Either that or a bulldozer.

In 2006 'light pollution' was incorporated as Statutory Nuisance in the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The new law (Section 102 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005) makes 'exterior light emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance' a criminal offence. Unfortunately, street lights are not specifically covered as they are not 'premises'. However, it would be worth talking to your local Environmental Health Officer. More info can be found here http://www.cpre.org.uk/campaigns/landscape/light-pollution/light-pollution-as-a-statutory-nuisance-using-the-new-law

Edited by beetlejuice

A minor victory of late. Saw the young chap with the rogue (all night flashing!) security light up a ladder painting. So I rushed round the block to find him and his builder mates having a break on the driveway. Yes, he had "heared there was a problem". He was moreover very SORRY and was "getting a sparks in" to replace it. :)

Perhaps, with some folks anyway, an inadvertant error. He had at least heared of light pollution and the needs of astronomy! The light has remained OFF ever since. But there was no sense of confrontation or grievance. Must be my natural charm. :headbang:

Aside: Having nearly electrocuted myself (and destroyed my nice new digital multimeter!) merely investigating my own "inherited" dodgy wiring, I sense the whole estate has been somewhat the victim of (at least one!) cowboy electrician. Hope [t]his... "sparks" is rather better! :D

Edited by Macavity

Well I'm sitting outside waiting and waiting and waiting. Seeing is great tonight for the first time in a while but my corner neighbour has decided to leave the house with a bedroom light blinding me out.

This happens a lot and I'm starting to get a bit narked. Grr.

you have alot of luck, my neighbours spray with water on my equipment.....

and they got some huge lights in the garden, so sad those people.......

I had a problem with a security light on my neighbour's garage. I won't say how I fixed it, but I, er, 'fixed' it.

You just got to love the security lights with the motion detection sensitivity and duration controls easily accessible :)

i enjoy many hobbies and i am quite skilled in some of them, my air rifle is still to hand and my aim is still true.

when diplomacy fails, let loose the pellet of war! :)

Interesting to note that I'm not the only one to have considered shooting out a streetlight!

My neighbours don't have any curtains in their bedroom window, and it drives me nuts when I'm trying to observe. My plan at the moment (as well as building an obsy!) is to give them a huge friendly wave next time I spot them getting ready for bed...

Interesting to note that I'm not the only one to have considered shooting out a streetlight!

if you dont mind shelling out one a high power laser pointer, they dont take that long to blow out the bulb. :)

just in case you are not happy with criminal damage, low power one on the light sensor will turn the light off for a bit

My neighbours don't have any curtains in their bedroom window, and it drives me nuts when I'm trying to observe. My plan at the moment (as well as building an obsy!) is to give them a huge friendly wave next time I spot them getting ready for bed...

make sure you have friends around for that added ooommph!

or you could try a 'full moon'. :)