SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon ~ Refractor ~ D90

PaulG

Lovely picture Paul. Are you happy with the new camera now? The picture looks very sharp for a single shot, what settings did you use?

All the best.

Hi Merlin

For this shot I used live view for the very first time.

I find this easier than looking through the view finder.

Once I'm in live view I just tweek the focuser in and out by a whisker and this gets me alot closer to the focus point than ever before.

It was shot at ISO200 and 1/50 of a second exposure time.

I hope you both are keeping well, the CG-5 is still working like a dream.

Paul

P.S ~ Thanks to everyone else for your comments

That's so clear and detailed! Here's my recent attempt... it's nowhere near as good though! Any pointers would be appreciated.

sic-albums-moon-picture5024-moon-18th-may-2010.png

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Exposure and contrast look good, it just looks a little out of focus but it's not that far off.

Exposure and contrast can be tinkered with to a degree after the shot but if you don't nail the focus it can not be recovered later.

Spending a little extra time on focusing will be the icing on the cake.

Paul

Might try my 1000D on the end of a scope and see what I get. I always seem to struggle getting a sensible magnification. I have worked out how to use Liveview so should be able to get the focus right. Do you do use an eyepiece or just have the camera at prime focus?

Hi chaps,

Took my first photos through my new scope a couple of nights ago. Had a great evenings viewing seeing saturn venus and mars all for the first time!

Dont really know how to attach my camera to my scope yet so just aimed it through the EP and took a few shots. I've got GIMP on my laptop but dont really know how to 'process' ones pics.

Ah much to learn I still have!

Pete

post-19515-133877448577_thumb.jpg

Stu ~ I use a T ring adapter and screw this straight on to the end of my Refractor and use it as a BIG lenes. I have tried just pointing my compact camera at the eyepiece (afocal method) but I find it much easier using the direct (prime focus method).

I use live view then take a shot, then rack the focuser in and out by a cats whisker and take another two shots. I find this gets me quite close to the focus point. For my shot I have used a 1000mm focal length telescope.

Pete ~ Looks like you have hit the ground running with a visual on Saturn, Mars and a great first shot of the Moon, even better as it's a afocal shot which I find quite tricky to pull off.

Russ ~ Now days I use a Helios 120mm F8.3 which I find is a better choice (handling wise) than the 150mm F8 I used to own although I do miss that extra 200mm reach.

Paul

Thanks Paul

I think I've got all the stuff I need to give it a go. Probably will try on the Astrotech 106 to start with but I've always wondered what the Mak would do

Thanks Paul

I think I've got all the stuff I need to give it a go. Probably will try on the Astrotech 106 to start with but I've always wondered what the Mak would do

I have used a OMC140 in the past but at F14 my shutter speeds were too low so I could not get sharp shot using this Mak.

I did have better luck with a Skywatcher 127 Mak with it being a smaller focal length and faster at F11.81.

Paul

Well, have just had a go at sticking the 1000D on the Mak for the first time, at prime focus. It is still quite bright out there and it hadn't fully cooled down but any thoughts? Cloud have now rolled in and the mosquitoes are biting well!

First shot is the full frame, the others are zoomed in a bit. The field f view is always pretty small but decent magnification.

post-19420-133877448675_thumb.jpg

post-19420-133877448681_thumb.jpg

post-19420-133877448685_thumb.jpg

Stu, such detailed shots. Much kudos!

@ PaulG My picture was taken with a 70mm bresser skylux, I'm not sure I can get a much better focus. I may well have to invest in a better scope. Only a month in, but it's quickly becoming an obsession.

Archived