SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alpha Centuri

Whilst looking South last night at Crux I was keeping an eye on what else was viewable when things really started to clear up.

Beta Centuri was up at about 10 degrees and I could just make out Alpha Centuri with the naked eye, so I panned round to say hello to our nearest neighbour.

Whilst still quite low, I'd swear that it became magnified when I changed from the 25mm to the 10mm EP, although this was possibly a function of the atmosphere, rather than actually due to it's relative distance to us.

about an hour later I took in another view, as it was now up to about 10 degrees or so.

Dispite its proximity, Alpha Centuri is a rather underwhelming sight, other than it being our closest neighbour, although, as with the Jewel Box, I'm sure it will be so much better when I finally do get further South.

I am content to have it down in the book as having been seen, and will return whenever I'm out looking at the cross and box.

Archived