SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

itunes U

3ggman

So I haven't been using these boards for very long but in the short time I have, I have got a wealth of information. So I thought I would share this.

A friend of mine studying chemistry introduced me to it, its Itunes University. So what is it.

Its a massive amount of online lectures covering a massive amount of subjects at all levels from some of the most prestiges universities around the world. (MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Oxford and Open Uni, to name but a few) There is an awful lot on physics and astronomy, some very interesting stuff especially if you are studying these subjects. I have been watching the MIT Intoduction to astronomy lately, the lectures are given by Prof. Robert Nemiroff (the guy who runs APOD).

You need to install itunes to view them and just go to the ItunesU section and start downloading.

Apple - iTunes U - A wealth of knowledge from top institutions.

• 5 weeks later...

hmm, i'm an avid user of iTunes and hadn't spotted that one before.

its good, but the astronomy section isn't massive. I had a peek at the Open University lecture and it was quite old. The presenter was cool but I couldn't stop thinking that the information is somewhat out-dated, going by the quality of the video then I would place the video as being mid 80's when made (?).

iThink (lol, notice that!) that Apple should allow all the iTunes store stuff to be free. The profits they get from people buying the iPod and iPhone should fund it.

I've been using iTunes U since I stumbled across it a couple of months ago.

But if you like your science in small doses, a couple of years ago the University of Nottingham brought out a series of bite sized videos on the elements of the periodic table - fantastic stuff.

More recently they have added the Sixty Symbols website - brief explanations and discussions about 60 of the symbols commonly used in science - many of them related to astronomy.

If you haven't seen any of these then I strongly recommend taking a dip. No iPod required - just the web browser you are using right now.

Also if your downloading the i-tunes U stuff it goes into the i-tunes U category. I like seeing all my podcasts etc together, you need to change the category of the i-tunes u stuff before you can see them next to your podcasts. Also they tend to be quite large in size in comparison to normal podcasts

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently been listening to Astronomy C10 Introduction to General Astronomy. It is very up to date and very entertaining. The lecturer Alex Filippenko is not only very knowledgable but is also quite funny. Well worth the download.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived