Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello All

Marcellus

Hi there,

I'm completely new to this game, so thought I'd introduce myself as you will probably be hearing a lot of noob questions from me in the coming months!

I have always been fascinated with space and astronomy, but have never acted on it until recently. Last year I got myself a set of 7x50's and 3 or 4 star guides and books to work with. I had small success with these but have always longed for my very own scope. So, yesterday my Skywatcher Explorer 130PM arrived from Scopes n Skies. It was missing the motor drive and the Barlow lens promised...... looking around the forums this should probably not come as a surprise as I have now learned they aren't very good. Oh well, it won't put me off.

I live in Esher, Surrey, and unfortunately don't have a garden to view in. I do however have a balcony which will make do for now. Will also be looking for good nearby locations to star spot.

Can't wait for the skies to clear up so I can go out and put my new toy to use..... probably not to much effect :) but Looking forward to learning how.

Cheers

Hello mate and a big welcome to SGL, This is a great place, full of friendly people and lots of help and ideas :)

Any questions dont hesitate to ask as we were all new at some point ;)

Scopes n Skies arnt really that good as i think everyone has had a bad experiance (i have) and make sure you chase for the missing items!! the best place online i have found is FLO (link at the top of SGL) there prices are fantastic and service second to none.. give em a try in the future!

Great choice on the Skywatcher Explorer 130P its a great beginner scope as its not too big and is easy to work with. i have a Skywatcher and i cant fault it. Skywatchers are a very good choice and wont break the bank!

Dave.

hi marcellus, scope and skies astroboot section is ok, ive not had a problem with them yet and you can always find a bargain to be had. For bigger purchases however always take a look at flo first. Welcome to the forum

Thanks for all your hello's... I feel very welcome already.

There was an hour of clear sky last night and I managed to see Saturn on my first go! Only saw it with 65x magnification so it was tiny, but very clear and still very exciting. I won't write exactly what I said when it came into focus - don't want to litter the forum with bad language :) I was very happy with my first viewing session, and considering it was on a very light polluted balcony I was even more chuffed!

Praying for more clear nights so I can get out somewhere really dark and have a good session!

Hi Marcellus,

A very warm welcome to SGL, for many years I used to cycle through Esher in my younger days and seem to recall there was a large area of common land ( Esher Common ) may be ok for your scope if you have transport, enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi from me too - I know Esher vaguely well. Theres a big common between Esher and the A3 down by the Fairmile. That might be ok. I sometimes use Newlands Corner as a spot for observing. Its a bit further from you and there might be something nearer.

Anyway welcome to the forum :D

Archived