Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Next eyepiece - Nagler 16mm T5??

Hi all

I have not even received my 35mm Panoptic yet but am dreaming of my next (and probably final ....ahem) eyepiece.

I currently have the following :

Radian 14mm and 18mm

Panoptic 24mm and 35mm

Powermate 2.5x

As you can see I am a TV fan and really do use all the ones I currently have regularly.

I only buy used (and cannot afford it yet) but trying to plan ahead by doing some research. I have two scopes and get the following magnifications with variations of the above the second figures are with the Powermate:

120mm f8.3 Refractor (achro)

14mm 71x 179x

18mm 56x 139x

24mm 42x 104x

35mm 29x

300mm f5.3 Dobsonian

14mm 114x 286x

18mm 89x 222x

24mm 67x 167x

35mm 46x

As I see it there's a gap in magnifications between the 139x/179x on the refractor and 222x/286x on the Dobsonian. This manifests itself in that in not so good seeing I rarely get a chance to use the highest magnifications but it feels like there's a bit more to be had from the next down.

I am therefore hoping to get magnifications of about 150x and 250x which I think will give me 'the best' results for higher power on most sessions.

Looking at my current eyepieces this equates to an eyepiece with a focal length of 16mm, which led me to the 16mm T5 Nagler that seems ideal.

Does anyone have any experience of this eyepiece please and how would it compare against say a 15mm Panoptic or 15mm Plossl which are other eyepieces I have considered. I like the idea of 2 lenses in one (using the Powermate) but maybe I should forget this and just get a 6mm Radian to compliment the others I have as I will mainly be using it at higher power (planetary/doubles).

In fact I have just been reminded of the UWANs which Doc praises so highly by this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/103897-eyepiece-advice.html

I suspect I might change my mind if I got my first Nagler? Maybe I shouldn't ask this question yet as I'll get all worked up if one comes up!

I wear glasses but not for observing.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks and best wishes

Shane

I've just posted on the other thread on this - I've owned a 16mm UWAN and then a 16mm Nagler T5 - the UWAN is so close in performance terms that the £'s I spent making the change would have better been used elsewhere. The Nagler 16mm is a great and really sharp eyepiece but I did find the 10mm eye relief a little tight. The UWAN has 12mm.

I eventually sold the 16mm T5 and my 13mm T6 Naglers to fund the 13mm Ethos - which is a step up again in performance of course :)

The only time that someone might justify the Nagler over the UWAN could be in a really fast scope (eg: F/4) if they were particularly fussy about sharpness in the last 10% of the FoV. In your F/5.3 scope the UWAN will be excellent.

I had a 16mm Nagler T5, and it was my favorite eyepiece at that focal length. Really nice to use. I sold mine when I got a 13mm Ethos, but I wish I had kept it now as it's such a compact and lightweight eyepiece and perfect for a small portable scope.

John

cheers John

I think I am coming round to the UWAN, let's hope that Hypernova gets his UWAN first - it will be a while before I can afford anything else anyway!

I have plenty of time to think about it.

I got a 2nd hand 16mm T5 last year, anmd was really surprised by just how good it is. Does it all - bright image AND wide field. The eye crelief is no worse than I've used before so isn't an issue. I then got a 13mm T6 and was worried that they would be too close, but not so. There is enough difference for them both to be useful in the same collection. I'd recommend it. I have no experience of the UWAN I'm afraid.

Ant

cheers Ant

I have some serious thinking to do before I commit - thankfully not enough money to currently buy so they go together quite nicely :)

I do love TV lenses though and it would take something special to get me to choose another brand I think. I take on board John's comments though.

This is great stuff - thanks everyone so far

cheers John

I think I am coming round to the UWAN, let's hope that Hypernova gets his UWAN first - it will be a while before I can afford anything else anyway!

I have plenty of time to think about it.

It'll be a fair while yet before I can afford the UWAN/Nirvana whether or not I purchase a barlow beforehand :)

Hopefully late June or July

I had a 16mm Nagler T5, and it was my favorite eyepiece at that focal length. Really nice to use. I sold mine when I got a 13mm Ethos, but I wish I had kept it now as it's such a compact and lightweight eyepiece and perfect for a small portable scope.

John

thanks John

it's amazing the internet. you go from an idea to a different idea and back to the same idea in about a millisecond!

this forum must be one of the best in the world.

my pendulum is on the way back to TV.icon12.gif

It'll be a fair while yet before I can afford the UWAN/Nirvana whether or not I purchase a barlow beforehand :)

Hopefully late June or July

no worries matey! I reckon it will be even later for me. got to pay back the loan from the deposit account first! couldn't resist a mint 35mm Panoptic at £200. also got the family holiday to pay for, wife's 40th etc etc.

cheers Chris

it looks a stonker - I'm not looking at Ebay as I don't have the power of resistance......

BUT in my dob, the weight might be an issue, and especially as I am mainly buying this to use as a 'powermated' eyepiece (obviously that's not even a word but you know what I mean) therefore I'd need a 2" barlow or powermate which would be even heavier than the 35mm Panoptic which will also be a challenge to balance on the dob. therefore I feel the 16mm has the edge for me in general features.

I can totally see why people buy lots of different options but I am determined to keep my eyepieces to no more than about five plus the Powermate.

cheers Chris

I'll see what the 35mm Panoptic's like and then decide. this weighs about 725g. the Nagler 17 weighs the same but I'd also need at least a 2" Barlow 340g or a 2" powermate 550g giving a total of at least 1.065kg or as bad as 1.275 kg to get a result which is a bit off the optimum magnification I was after. this ignores the 'interface' which I might also need with the barlow plus the cost of the additional barlow/powermate/interface?

phew, I'm glad I have some time :0)

I think you only need the Interface when using the longer focel length Panoptics with a barlows. Apparently it "mimics" a Powermate so it might be simpler just to go for a Powermate from the start.

I use the 31mm Nagler T5 with my alt-az scopes and, yes, there are balance issues that need to be addressed - the 31mm weighs 2.2lbs compared to the 35mm Pan's 1.6 lbs. The views are superb though .....

cheers John

The 35mm Panoptic was the best compromise for me currently with regard to both weight and price. Maybe one day I'll follow your own path, selling the lenses I have to buy Ethi :0) I think with those eyepieces though, you really need to use them on their own so even used it's around £1500 (??) to cover the mags I get now aaaagh!!

Kelling last year had me with some cracking exotica in my hands for hours at an end...

Frankly, the UWAN's are a really decent lens and perhaps there was a touch of difference with the TV , but it was hardly visible. I also liked the Pentax lenses. Crisp like you would not believe it

Very tasty.

Archived