SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DMK device not found

I had this problem before, when it had been working ok & then suddely was not available,

I put a new hard drive in, because of this problem, & it was working ok again.

Now it has happened again. Device not found in IC Capture.

I tried to reinstall drivers, but it will not do it as no device found.

Very grateful for any help, as no Moon & planetary camera while I have this problem.

I have tried another cable to no avail.

Also, to add to the above.

In Device Manager, It does not refresh when I plug DMK in & there is no box for attached Imaging Devices, that comes up for it.

Imaging Device box comes up with other camera but not DMK.

In case this helps

Thanks

Sounds to me like you have a dodgy USB lead.

Have you tried changing that?

Also I found with my DMK, that it is quite picky which USB port I use. I have two USB ports - according to everything I can see on the laptop they are identical... But plug it into the left hand one and IC capture / DMK crashes (regardless of frame rate), plug it into the other one and it works like a dream @ 60fps.

Also once it crashes, you'll have to close the software AND unplug the camera at the same time for it to find it again (that's what I have to do).

HTH

Ant

I've also had this problem, and sometimes changing USB lead or port has helped. However, when I have gone back to the original lead or port is has continued to work. Sometimes, rebooting the computer and replugging in the camera has worked but not always. So, really I have no idea of what is going on. It can be very frustrating and I hope someone can throw light on the matter. I also upgraded to more up to date software.

Dave

I run the firewire version of the DMK21 and find the connection ( that silly little four pin socket) is a PITA, just needs a bump or movement and you loose connection....I think Gaffa tape will be my answer!

Ken

I tend to use Blutack around the connections on the guidecams etc...

My DMK was a real PITA on my laptop but works superbly on my netbook....

With USB devices i tend to label up th ports and cblaes to try and make sure as far as possible the same devices get plugged into the same ports this helps ending up with loads of instances of the device installed...

Every now and again I go through and clean out all the hidden instances of devices...

Peter...

Yep, my Meade LPi is picky about which USB port it's plugged into as well. Has to be the middle of 3 on the right hand side. The other two or the two on the left and it just wont work!

Hope your fix is as simple as this.

Thanks for all that.

I have changed leads, brushed out the contacts, had back of camera off, changed ports, turned on & off about 50 times.

Nightmare, i will try again. Will let you know if it gets sorted.

Fay

I use a batch file to launch device manager form the command line with some obscure switches that allows you to remove "hidden" usb devices - ones not currently connected to the PC at the time... I dont have it in work but will post it when i get home...

You can very rapidly end up with a significant number of these if you move usb devices between different ports on the PC , an attached hub or even "active" extension cable...

I find that a good clean out of these from time to time often helps... now i label up all the cable ends and ports ...

Follow the method described here... ISSUE B

http://www.starrynightsupport.com/support_trio/index.php?action=kb&article=201

Although its directed at Serial ports it works for all classes of device...

Peter...

I downloaded version 2.1. to no avail.

I am going to a Star Camp the weekend & will ask if someone will load the software etc onto their system, to try & find the problem.

Thanks

I know how frustrating this can be went through it on the obs laptop... In the end I bought a Samsung NC10 notebook with a 160 GB HDD in it and use that with the DMK instead...

Its never missed a beat on it...

Peter...

And I bought an Acer netbook, same spec, and that is a beggar for deciding it no longer wishes to recognise our various toys. We had two computers and two guide cameras. They were not interchangeable because one would recognize one guide cam and not the other and vice versa. Ok, we worked round it. Then they BOTH stopped recognizing their regular cameras and would only work with the other ones. Barking. Yes, I know it is better than not working at all but that will happen next time I have a houseful, a clear sky and a fleeting new comet to image...

Normal swearwords are not enough; I have had to invent my own. They would make your blood run cold, I can tell you.

Olly

I couldnt get the DMK to work at all on another PC... same leads used everywhere...

Clean installs of the OS etc... it does get a tad frustrating ;)

The main reason for the netbook was that the lappy only had 20GB of HDD space on it and 1 GB of Ram and wasn't economic to upgrade...

The netbook was also good old XP :) and when it was upgraded to 2GB does a fine job of running all the stuff I want it to... its ideal for use with the EQ3 pro in the "field" ...

Good luck with getting yours sorted ...

Peter...

Archived