Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Ronseal

Dark Skies and streets??

Not sure if this has already been posted, but last sunday Countryfile had a short story on the Dark Skies forest of Galloway, anyone see it?

Whilst on the subject of Dark Skies I've just driven back from stafford area up the M6 and noticed some signs Northbound (they're Southbound aswell) around Charnock Richard stating that there will be No lights during the hours or Midnight-5am - these are permanent signs still covered up at the mo, and I'm not sure how far this extends up the motorway network.

Aside from reducing light pollution they'll save a bomb in energy costs too, why don;t local councils do the same with normal street lights?

I've been lobbying my local council about unnecessary street lighting, especially after 12 Midnight. Your local environment office will be all ears to you when you explain how much energy they will save by turning a street off between 1AM & 5:30Am over the year, then tell them how much potentially for the ward... major brownie points.. ;)

go for it... don't be put off by silence, they have a duty to respond..:)

it would be nice to get rid of those stupid streetlights alltogether :) would be abit creepy walking down the street through the night, with no lights on at all... 0.0

Leicester county council have been switching off "non essential" lighting on several village roads and parts of the motorway (M1) around the county recently as a pilot scheme for the rest of the county.

Lets hope it gets adopted as a country wide thing eventually. :)

I saw the Galloway thing on Countryfile Ron - nice program ;)

Edited by brantuk

Your local environment office will be all ears to you when you explain how much energy they will save by turning a street off between 1AM & 5:30Am over the year, then tell them how much potentially for the ward... major brownie points..

Where do I get the actual figures?

Thanks

which countryfile was this on? The one yesterday (9th) or the one the week before (2nd) May

owen

Where I live (March Cambs) most of the 'A' roads are unlit. A recently built dual carriageway, (to motorway standard), only has lights at the roundabouts. A new major road construction near Spalding also only has lights at the roundabouts. They are white and all of the full cut off type. Someone is at last thinking off the environment in all forms.

Id say if only half the lights were tuned off. probably a 2/3's the enviromental savings over the country would be huge and still allow lighting for the areas there in, walking down some of the roads where i am its like orange daylight.

Look what my popped into my email not 30 minutes ago :

'Your Shield Request'

'Apologies for the delay in replying following your email containing the additional information requested as I've been on leave. Your shield request was passed to the service provider SEC on the 06/05/10 and their system shows an order due 11/05/10 (tomorrow), hopefully this will resolve the problem for you.

Kind regards

Street Lighting - Environment Group '

It was about two years ago when I first contacted the council about the streetlight over the garden. At the time it was an orange light and spent more time broken than working, they wanted me to pay £127 to put a shield on it and I left it at that.

Last August while I was on holiday it was changed to a bright white light and a month or so ago I got fed up with it enough to try again. I'm not sure what changed at the council but I'm really happy to have got this far with it.

I'll get a before picture of the light tonight, and hopefully an after picture of the shield tomorrow. With any luck it will have the required effect but I guess I'll have to wait an see.

Edited by tmarkuk