Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

dweller25

TAL 150P v Skywatcher 150P

the digging came to nought im afraid.

though i am suprised that you find it difficult with the TAL finder scope as i havnt had the problem that you have had with it.

you could always swap it out with a dedicated illuminated finder scope i suppose.

Dweller - in that case if you ever buy a Stellarvue finder get the illuminated version because the reticule on that is even fainter than the TAL. Honest.

I ended up with an illuminated Takahashi 7x50 finder. It's really nice as the crosshairs don't meet in the middle so you can center objects perfectly.

Ahh My Stellevue has a flashing illuminator so its like a targetting system homing in :)

Not yet, I'm considering taking a 4" refractor or the Tal 150P .......

Analysis by paraysis !!

its been re-listed, got another 6 days of bidding, still at £175

I know this is an old thread but I'm beginning to think I made the right choice for a TAL 150P as my first scope. I pick it up tomorrow night :-)

I know this is an old thread but I'm beginning to think I made the right choice for a TAL 150P as my first scope. I pick it up tomorrow night :-)

Let us know what you think of it when you have had a chance to use it a bit :smiley:

John

I'm a new starter & have no experience or comparison knowledge.

But I'll certainly tell you my first impressions if the UK Sky is clear tonight.

Phil 9/3/13

Well I've picked it up. It's the later model TAL 150p with the 2" finder scope but is also fitted with a red dot finder. Two Plossi eyepieces plus a 2x Barlow. Cheshire collimator. Manual & all the original boxes & packaging. It's in superb condition no scratches or dents. Well looked after.

The most surprising thing. Much smaller than I expected & once you remove the balance weights the scope & EQ mount is not so heavy at all. The pillar stand is very light in comparison but really sturdy compared to tripod types.

Think I've made the right choice at the right price & have everything I need for a good start in serious stargazing.

The only downer is the torrential rain outside & poor forecast for the next week !!!!! Really want to see that comet now...

Phil 7/3/13

• Like 1

always nice when your happy with a nice bargin!

• Like 1

Sounds like a good buy :smiley:

The older one I had for a while was built like a tank - I doubt if the tube would have dented if you had hit it with a hammer !

• Like 1

The older one I had for a while was built like a tank - I doubt if the tube would have dented if you had hit it with a hammer !

...or sickle...poor i know!

...or sickle...poor i know!

I'll get your coat ! :grin:

• Like 1

The twenty year old tal I've got was probably made from part of a tank! It is that sturdy. And it's painted in proper Russian military grey too :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by skir
  • Like 1

The twenty year old tal I've got was probably made from part of a tank! It is that sturdy. And it's painted in proper Russian military grey too :D

Which TAL do you have, skir? I thought you were joking about the colour of yours but I've just seen a military green TAL1 for sale on gumtree!!!!

Tbh I'm not sure which one it is and I'm not at home to check it at the moment. Its a newt and about 3 inch in diameter. Was definitely painted in military surplus grey!

Someone has to defend the sw 150p and I shall do it! The scope is also very good and very capable. It shows dsos with ease and great planetary detail. I've bagged polar caps and black desserts on Mars and cassini division and disc colouration on Saturn. Very capable and versatile work horse. I'd buy one again if I had to.

• Like 1

I am more than happy with my SW Explorer 150P.