Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAL 150P v Skywatcher 150P

the digging came to nought im afraid.

though i am suprised that you find it difficult with the TAL finder scope as i havnt had the problem that you have had with it.

you could always swap it out with a dedicated illuminated finder scope i suppose.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm beginning to think I made the right choice for a TAL 150P as my first scope. I pick it up tomorrow night :-)

Let us know what you think of it when you have had a chance to use it a bit :smiley:

Well I've picked it up. It's the later model TAL 150p with the 2" finder scope but is also fitted with a red dot finder. Two Plossi eyepieces plus a 2x Barlow. Cheshire collimator. Manual & all the original boxes & packaging. It's in superb condition no scratches or dents. Well looked after.

The most surprising thing. Much smaller than I expected & once you remove the balance weights the scope & EQ mount is not so heavy at all. The pillar stand is very light in comparison but really sturdy compared to tripod types.

Think I've made the right choice at the right price & have everything I need for a good start in serious stargazing.

The only downer is the torrential rain outside & poor forecast for the next week !!!!! Really want to see that comet now...

Phil 7/3/13

Sounds like a good buy :smiley:

The older one I had for a while was built like a tank - I doubt if the tube would have dented if you had hit it with a hammer !

The twenty year old tal I've got was probably made from part of a tank! It is that sturdy. And it's painted in proper Russian military grey too :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

The twenty year old tal I've got was probably made from part of a tank! It is that sturdy. And it's painted in proper Russian military grey too :D

Which TAL do you have, skir? I thought you were joking about the colour of yours but I've just seen a military green TAL1 for sale on gumtree!!!!

Tbh I'm not sure which one it is and I'm not at home to check it at the moment. Its a newt and about 3 inch in diameter. Was definitely painted in military surplus grey!

Someone has to defend the sw 150p and I shall do it! The scope is also very good and very capable. It shows dsos with ease and great planetary detail. I've bagged polar caps and black desserts on Mars and cassini division and disc colouration on Saturn. Very capable and versatile work horse. I'd buy one again if I had to.

Archived