Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just an excuse to say thankyou

JamesM

Hello there!

My name is James and I am a newbie to the subject of astronomy. I have to confess that I have been an active reader of this forum for quite some time and would like to take this opportunity, as my first contact with the forum, to thank all those who regularly contribute their time and knowledge towards helping people like me in our understanding of this vast and interesting subject. I would also like to thank First Light Optics for having the foresight in creating this important resource. ;):hello2:

All this might sound obvious to other more experienced astronomers but for a new person, considerations around equipment, technique and technologies can at times be a little overwhelming. Here I know I can find true impartial advice that is based upon experience in the real world and not on sales figures. I have also discovered that there can be disagreement between forum members which I find heartening as it shows that there are different ways to do things and that budgets and locations can often forge pragmatic compromises that also add to the strength of this forum.

So I not only want to say my first hello but to plead with everyone here - to keep up the good work!:):icon_salut:

Kind regards James

there are different ways to do things and that budgets and locations can often forge pragmatic compromises that also add to the strength of this forum.

Hi James

this sums it up nicely. there's always more than one way to skin a cat and options ranging from lie on your back and look up with your own eyes to buy a £127,000 50" reflector and a whole set of Ethi or what have you. Your criteria stated plus favourite targets and yes or no to photography really determine where you sit.

Hi James and welcome to SGL.

I'm pleased that you find SGL such a good resource.

You can read the history of SGL here http://stargazerslounge.com/welcome/45286-history-sgl-2.html . SGL was around quite sometime before FLO was started.

You're right about the multitude of ways that you can acheive the same goal though, that was quite clear at SGL5 - most of the imagers were doing guiding, but the variation in kit was astounding.

Ant

Hi again,

Well I must admit, that was a very warm response to my hello I must say. For some strange reason it reminded me of that scene from the film Sparticus, where individuals each stood up in turn and claimed that they they were in fact the real Sparticus. I am very touched by such a response and its made me feel ..... well, all sort of warm inside ;):)(....meanwhile camera cuts to his Nurse who can be seen preparing yet more medication hoping that the use of her newly purchased catapult will hopefully secure a more immediate response)

I promise to come back to you all soon with some good questions to test your knowledge but I'll shall have to dash now as there is a someone at my front window how appears to have a nurses outfit on. :)

Very kind regards

James

I hope you continue to enjoy the SGL Forum James.

That was a nice thing to say in your first post, but you are right.

Some great guys and gals here, and all the help you might need, is just waiting for your questions.:)

Ron.

Bit late but Hi from me too. At the risk of sounding like a 'folksy' story from readers digest I try always to say hi to new people because when I firts came here I had so many replies to my hello message it made me feel really welcome and comfortable with being here.

I think the way the boards treat beginners is so important as is remembering we are all beginners once.

Anyway - sorry to go schmaltzy but a genuine welcome from me :)

Welcome aboard ;)

... I would also like to thank First Light Optics for having the foresight in creating this important resource.

I wish I did have the foresight to create SGL but the credit for that lies elsewhere. SGL was born prior to FLO. Like most people here on SGL I joined as as an amateur astronomer (member 50) looking for information. SGL took me under their wing and put me on the right track. I started FLO about a year later.

First Light Optics does sponsor SGL (pays the bills) and is closely associated with it but we do not own the forum.

I actually think it is important that SGL remains independent :)

HTH,

Steve

Archived