740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Lens tissues?

Well my 2" diagonal actually turned up from scopes and skies after 3 weeks, and it came with a cleaning set that i had added for £2.

Ive just cleaned my eyepiece lenses with the "lens tissues" and theyve come up really nice, i didnt use the cleaning fluid - im wondering how many times i can clean them with the tissues without spoling the coatings, and should i be using the fluid with them (wont the fluid get inside the EPs??, will i wear the coatings off faster using the tissues without the fluid??)

any ideas people

w

Only clean them when they need cleaning. You will know when that time arrives. Use the tissues only, and together with the supplied fluid only when any staining is stubborn. Don't keep using the same tissue, change it regularly.

Always keep the caps on, and even when you are selecting different EP's during an observing session, discipline yoursef to recap the one you just used. It might seem overkill, but do it anyway, and make it a habit. When you finish for the night, give them all a wipe, including the bodies. They cost enough, so it makes sense to care for them. Don't put them in your pocket during observing, that sticky toffee might still be in there.:)

Ron.

Edited by barkis

Only clean them when they need cleaning. You will know when that time arrives. Use the tissues only, and together with the supplied fluid only when any staining is stubborn. Don't keep using the same tissue, change it regularly.

Always keep the caps on, and even when you are selecting different EP's during an observing session, discipline yoursef to recap the one you just used. It might seem overkill, but do it anyway, and make it a habit. When you finish for the night, give them all a wipe, including the bodies. They cost enough, so it makes sense to care for them. Don't put them in your pocket during observing, that sticky toffee might still be in there.:)

Ron.

thanks ron!!

I work with hydraulic systems and have found that some of the protective caps from hydraulic fittings are perfect for using as EP caps, both ends.

As for lens tissues/fluids, we are supplied Kimberley-Clark 'kimwipes' and Uvex fluid for cleaning our safety glasses. Needles to say I now have a stash of these products at home and they have proved ideal, especially for shifting those stubborn stains!

A lens pen is also useful for 'in the field' emergencies.