sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Source for Micrometer Heads???

Merlin66

I'm using micrometer heads to adjust the position of the grating in the spectroscopes I'm building. I need ten of them.

Previously I was able to find some good heads (0-25mm) on eBay.. but now it only seems to be Chinese product - which I bought and tried...absolute rubbish!

Ideally a 0-18mm with spherical nose would be great but beggars can't be chosers...

Has anyone found/ know of a source of cheap micrometer heads???

( If I buy a "normal" exterior micrometer...can the head be easily removed???)

Thank for any help.

Ken

Yeah...

I saw those Peter, the price looks OK but can the micrometer head be easily removed from the frame?? Anyone tried it??

( With a Chinese one I bought the head was hammered into the frame..believe me!!)

ken

Some of us used to make our own - all you need is a well fitting nut & bolt with a known thread pitch & some means of adding a scale to read partial rotations of the screw ....

Alternatively - any way of using a macro focusing rail for your application?

Peter,

That one from Thorlabs certainly looks the part!!

Brian,

Yes, I've done that sort of thing in the past... but this new batch of spectroscopes needs to be a little more up-market than my usual "home-made" prototypes.....

(John, I've ordered one from Proops Bros...where did they dream up that name?... maybe better than the Chinese one...or at least a different factory!)

Ken

The Proops ones are "cheap and cheerful" and are not "engineer" quality (after all they are only a fiver!) OK for 0.1mm but useless for 0.01mm - I have one, which I use for "rough" on bar stock and castings. This has also shown that the anvils are not hardened. By the way I am NOT implying that Proops sells shoddy stuff, far from it!! They sell mainly to "Hobbyists" rather than engineers, so for folk who make trains & boats & planes their stuff is exellent value for money and sells by the shedload - just go to an exhibition and try to get to their stand!! They also have a good range of stuff - so if you have "another hobby" you could sneak a look at their website: http://www.proopsbrothers.com/acatalog/index.html

Chronos, on the other hand, sell good quality (imported form China?) micrometers. I don't know for sure but I suspect that they are assembled with loctite, so you could try gently warming (150°C in the domestic oven when SWMBO isn't looking!) to seperate the parts.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bizibilder

Don't need the hardened nose... I'm going to have to epoxy an 6mm ball on the end to work against a sine bar anyway....It's just to give a fine adjustment of the grating position and some form of read-out...

Ken

Hi Merlin66 , Here oop in deepest West Yorkshire we have RDG Tools in a little place called Mytholmroyd.RDG Tools Ltd General Workshop Tools

. They list a couple of Micrometer Barrels at under a tenner (one Imperial and tother Metric ). Piccies on their web page . Perhaps these will fit the bill ? Presume these are for your 'Ikea Spectro' Kits ?

These are just 'heads' so may fit the bill,

Len E :D

len,

I've ordered one of those as well! - looks OK - I've assumed is a 0-25mm travel...

Yes, you're correct these are for the new "Spectra-L200" spectroscopes - to be sold at cost to members of the Y! group Astronomical_spectroscopy.

My contribution to the novice spectroscopist!!!!

Ken