sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Hello again folks,

Another question..Iv got the scope selected and ready for pick up (Orion ED80, Thanks Andrew) Now just need a mount..But as always money i tight! So what im basicaly looking at is a mount that i could build on for the future should i want to dable in the black art. So i was thinking of the EQ5 Deluxe as for £209 its far easier justified to the better half especially after me going out and spending on the scope, ep's, filters etc..:D anyway if i were to get the great prices EQ5 for now and then if i wanted to give AP ago i could then upgrade the EQ5 with the synscan and eqmod? but realistacaly how will this mount cope with the ED80 and say a cheap refractor to guide with, camera for the guider and camera for the pics...im a little worried that the reality of this is approching or exceding the limits of the EQ5. Am i correct? Also if someone has had experiance on this i would love to know how you got on.

Would be much appreciated for anyones advice on this, as im really stuck but want to order a mount ASAP.

Thanks,

Michael

Hello again folks,

Another question..Iv got the scope selected and ready for pick up (Orion ED80, Thanks Andrew) Now just need a mount..But as always money i tight! So what im basicaly looking at is a mount that i could build on for the future should i want to dable in the black art. So i was thinking of the EQ5 Deluxe as for £209 its far easier justified to the better half especially after me going out and spending on the scope, ep's, filters etc..:D anyway if i were to get the great prices EQ5 for now and then if i wanted to give AP ago i could then upgrade the EQ5 with the synscan and eqmod? but realistacaly how will this mount cope with the ED80 and say a cheap refractor to guide with, camera for the guider and camera for the pics...im a little worried that the reality of this is approching or exceding the limits of the EQ5. Am i correct? Also if someone has had experiance on this i would love to know how you got on.

Would be much appreciated for anyones advice on this, as im really stuck but want to order a mount ASAP.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi

You can adapt the EQ5 to have SynScan with an upgrade kit, I don't think eqmod will work with this mount unless anyone knows of some sort of mod. It will have no problem with a ED80 mounted on it, but do yourself a favour - if you can find yourself a CG5 mount, it would be better, as the payload it can handle is better. It's legs are 2" in diameter same as the EQ6 Syntrek & Synscan Pro mounts & the mount heads sit comfortably on the tripod. You can add motors or a synscan system to the cg5 mount as well, being no difference in between the EQ5 & CG5 mount head.

Regarding dabbling in AP, if your going to keep to a relative small refractor - the ed80 being the limit then you would be able to do unguided shots upto 2mins, of course that would depend on your conditions eg. balance of the scope & camera, polar alignment, windy gusts etc.

If you did want to go into guided imaging & of course you might have an impluse buy :p & get a bigger scope, like an 8" Newt & use your 80ED as a guidescope, then you might be better off buying something like a HEQ5 Syntrek or Pro or even better an EQ6 Syntrek/Pro due to them handling more weight with stability. HTH

Cheers

Nadeem.

Edited by Deneb

That does help all lot mate thank you, just only problem i think will be getting my hands on one! they seem to be extincted as far as i can see, well new anyways and for around the same price as the eq i mean £209 can i grumble for that kind of doh? But if you do know where sells them please let me know.

just a thought...wouldnt waiting down the legs a little on the EQ's tripod help for stability? or are you just pushing the limit there with the legs streagnth?

Thanks again,

Michael.

Edited by msinclairinork

well having the 2" legs does have some benefit, that it would handle bigger instruments like a 8" Newt. I found having one sitting on an EQ5 - legs which are 1.75" diameter, doesn't just look right, it does look it's going to tip over with a gust of wind.

Nadeem..

I agree with what Nadeem says, if you are careful to manage your payload you can get some decent results with an eq5 synscan mount.

I have a 6" reflector, an ST80 for guiding, use a DSLR imaging and would say this is the very limit of what the mount can handle.

Edited by johnrt

CG5GT which is in the EQ5 class is cheap and often used for low-cost AP. It has noticable PE but it's quite easy to correct it by a guider.

Edited by riklaunim

Yea ive been googling all morning lol, cant seem to find a CG-5 thats not goto. Any sudgestions? Just dont have the pennys right now for the goto...however i did see one on astrobuysell for £350 but postage to where i live is costly usualy. But ill defently be keeping my eyes pealed Nadeem.

Thanks for your advice, this has REALLY helped! :D

Michael.

EQ5 Synscan won't be cheaper than CG5-GT I think. Other option is to use plain EQ5 with dual drive and hack the drive box to add the guide port and use Shoestring relaybox for the guider (or Ursa Minor EQ5 dual drive box with guide port) - but it doesn't offer mount controll from a computer (goto, ASCOM toys)

Edited by riklaunim
CG5GT which is in the EQ5 class is cheap and often used for low-cost AP. It has noticable PE but it's quite easy to correct it by a guider.

What so you would consider my unguided images cheap !!!

They were done with an EQ5 & CG5 mount... UNGUIDED

Nadeem..

Edited by Deneb

Well I will look forward to your Expensive Images...

You could have an expensive mount - but if your images are **** whats the point.

Nadeem..

Hello all check this thread out by SamTheEagle http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/81238-simplegpusb-home-brew-auto-guider.html

The time and effort he put into this is immense!

Basically it shows you have to mod your standard eq5 ra dec motors handset then make your own usb interface and set it up for auto guiding. It's the route I'm going down, the biggest expense being the guidecam, so I's say yes you can autoguide with an eq5 without spending the money on a synscan upgrade! Also you can guide with a finderscope to keep weight down, a few people have done it with very good results!

Hi guys, Thanks for the info. Im defently iether going to go down the route of a EQ5/CG5 and then fiddle with upgrades another day. As i said before money is a problem so its easier to start with a non-goto just now, and then maybe iether just go for the synscan upgrade or the other 'hacked' options you mentioned.

Sorry to have started a wee disagreement here, I done believe nadeem it was meant to come across like that as im sure your aware. I think your images are VERY impressive and i aspire to be just half as good as you one day!

Seriosly guys thanks for the advice!

Michael.

Nadeem--I just wanted to say (if your still subscribed to this thread) that i managed to pick up a refurbished CG-5 for £185! So im really pleased, no doubt in a few months ill have another thread going asking about upgrading the bad boy! but for now at least ill be able to get out their and do some observing.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Take care for now,

Michael

Hello all check this thread out by SamTheEagle http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/81238-simplegpusb-home-brew-auto-guider.html

The time and effort he put into this is immense!

Basically it shows you have to mod your standard eq5 ra dec motors handset then make your own usb interface and set it up for auto guiding. It's the route I'm going down, the biggest expense being the guidecam, so I's say yes you can autoguide with an eq5 without spending the money on a synscan upgrade! Also you can guide with a finderscope to keep weight down, a few people have done it with very good results!

Unfortunately his links don't work anymore. :)

Thats ok JeroKane i saved all the relevent info but thanks for the heads up.

Nadeem- yes im sure i will once i get my head around polar elighnment! have had it easy with my goto starter scope...maybe to easy some might say so time to get my head into the game and learn learn learn!! :)

Thanks chaps,

Michael