SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is a 10x50mm finder scope any good???

Hi all, found a 10x50mm finderscope for £35 its right-angled too, would it be worth it or even better than say a standerd 6x30??? remember here folks that im still a bit of a novice so would this make things easier or harder to find? Any advice would be greatfull.

Thanks,

Michael

Depending on the make/quality - the size is a good one for a large scope - should give decent wide views of the star field. If you tell me where it is I'll gazump you for a punt - so best not lol :D

Hi Brantuk,

Thanks for replying. It is unbranded as far as I can see. It would be for a ED80 do you think it would be suitable? As far as I tell i think they have a few in stock anyway..i found it in scopes'skies astroboot section.

Also while av got you here..im needing tube rings and a dovetail to match to a eq5 from a Orion ED80, dont suppose you know of where would be best to find them?? I was thinking the skywatcher ones would do? Also i found some cheap tube rings in that astroboot section..but their 90mm is that what id be looking for? or is it a case of it would be 80mm id need?

Also if you happen to know, what diffrences in dovetails there are? as im seeing ones of diffrent sizes but i dont really understand why?

Am i milking this one post a bit??? hehe

Thanks matey!

Michael

The only thing about an angled finder is that it may give a left-right inverted view, which would drive me nuts. I like them either correct or top-bottom inverted. I'd check this out first.

The size is good. It doesn't matter what scope you have, the finder still has to show something!

Olly

...Also while av got you here..im needing tube rings and a dovetail to match to a eq5 from a Orion ED80, dont suppose you know of where would be best to find them?? I was thinking the skywatcher ones would do? Also i found some cheap tube rings in that astroboot section..but their 90mm is that what id be looking for? or is it a case of it would be 80mm id need?

Also if you happen to know, what diffrences in dovetails there are? as im seeing ones of diffrent sizes but i dont really understand why?...

The Orion and Skywatcher ED80's use 100mm tube rings. The Celestron version of the scope uses the 90mm size.

Just a standard short dovetail would do for an ED80 - something around 6" - 8" long to fit Skywatcher / Vixen dovetail fittings is how they are described I think.

Personally I think I would find a 10 X 50 finder field of view too narrow when trying to locate a remote region ie. one with no bright stars nearby. I use a homemade 6.5ish X 30mm with about 8 degrees field, which shows 7th mag stars under my light polluted skies and I sometimes struggle to find a particular area. I think 7 X 40 would be about right for me so need to browse some secondhand shops for an old pair of binos.

Excelent thanks chaps, this has cleared it up for me, i dont think ill bother as olly mentioned i think this one will be inverted and i can imagine that to be a pain. Thanks also for clearing up what dovetail and tube rings i need. Big help thankyou.

Thanks again guys!

Michael

Archived