Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrotrac setup advice please from users... can I use an AZ3?

Hi

I m currently planning to invest in a new Atrotrac bud overall budget is an issue as I also need to fund lenses and PC for image manipulation.

I have an AZ-3 tripod which I m currently using with a spotting scope. If I use this what other mounting pieces do I need? I m assuming this could substitute for both the tripod and geared head? Would this leave me just needing to purchase the Astrotrac, polar finder and a ball head?

If so would prefer to use this money to go towards a small scope/autoguider setup.

Experience or advice from any current users much appreciated.

Regards

CP

Hello CP. You should be able to use your AZ mount in conjunction with the Astrotrac provided that it will tilt to your latitude angle. The Astrotrac will then be fitted to it and the ball head and your camera on top of the Astrotrac. Bear in mind though, that you will not be able to use the gearing on the AZ or it will upset your "equatorial" orientation, Alt and Az adjustment will have to be made on the ball head. I purchased an Astrotrac a few days ago but have not had the chance to try it out yet, the fit and finish look superb. Cheers. Peter.

Archived