Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SATURN WHEN?

LITTLE COL

you dont need a huge telescope to see saturns rings, in fact they are just about visible in a pair of binoculars. If you are up early in the morning (5am ish) you should be able to see it low in the east. It slowly rises as the weeks progress and gets higher at the same time of night each day. It wont be in a "good" position till about february/march, but you can see it way before then late at night/early morning. Hard to miss, very bright.

Use a planetarium program like http://www.stellarium.org/ to see where he is at what time

If you can stay up long enough it's up there now in the morning (just before sun up so be careful) - copped a glimpse with my x12 binos bout a couple of weeks ago. Just watch out for the pliades followed by orion followed by gemini and then... Saturn!!! Yay! Give it another couple of months before decent viewing though. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's still a long way from us yet. Better to wait for us to catch up with it abit. Hope you enjoy your first look - it really is the showcase - was the first thing I ever looked at and had me hooked, totally.

I know it's a challenge, (because I've done it myself), but you can see Saturn during the day, if you know where to look. I use the Sun as a callibrator, then turn to the planet's coordinates. It's possible to see all of the unaided eye planets in daylight. Mars is the most challenging.

I imagine it would, but daytime alignment with a goto is problematical. I've seen GOTO's sit idle while I find Jupiter in twilight at Grand Canyon, so....??

So you just align it in the dark, go to bed and when you get up in the afternoon its still tracking. All you need to do is train the wife to sit out all night to make sure nobody steals it.

Captain Chaos

Archived