SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from windy Orkney Isles

msinclairinork

Hi everyone!

My names Michael i'm 25 from the orkney islands right of the most northern tip of scotland. Iv lived there all my life. The wheather their wel is scottish; wet, cold and VERY windy most of the time but of course we can hit it lucky too and most of all we can have some lovley vast starry nights!

I have been interested in all things space since i can remember. I got a REALLY cheep toy telescope i think when i was about 8 but it wasnt good for much save the moon.

Then about 3-4 years ago i upgraded to a slighty more expensive toy scope with goto functions although this has given me some enjoyable veiws of the planets and one or two fuzzies, i'm hoping to upgrade to somthing a bit more substatial, so im on the hunt.

I have been a member maybe 2 weeks now, and have found SGL and there members extreamly helpfull and also inspiring. Unfortunatly i dont know anyone close to me that has an intrest in astronomy that i could ask questions etc. so being able to use SGL is a huge benefit to me. One day i would love to jump in the car and drive down to one of there star parties, that sounds excelent. just a fair old distance but we'l see what happens it might just have to be done yet!

Well thats all from me..well just now as i'm sure youl see my posts pop up here and their quizzing these inshighfull members! :D

Thanks again SGL!

Michael.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael and welcome to SGL

I was in the Orkney's 2 years ago, and I loved it. I didn't have any clear nights whilst I was there, but with the low light pollution levels I can image how good they are.

No problem with trees either!

One day i would love to jump in the car and drive down to one of there star parties

Being a smart-*** American, I was going to tell you that you'd drown, but my wife (Michigoose) reminded me that there ARE such things as ferries! :D

Welcome to SGL, Michael!

Dana

HI again all, well i just wanted to say a very greatfull thank you to you all for your warm welcome, you have made me feel very welcome here. As for those who would like to visit, i wouldnt recomend it...haha only joking its not all bad, i'v always found suprisingly winter to be the best for clear still but frosty nights.

I look forward to catching you all on the forums again!

Thanks again peeps,

Michael.

Thanks Talitha...Did i happen to see you in this months addition of the sky at night giving a tutural on sketching? if so....cooOOOOoool!!!!

----------------------

ooops didnt read your signatures...doh! but anyways CoooOOOOoool! haha

Greetings from Aberdeen!

If you find yourself in Aberdeen, please drop me a line, you are really not that far away. And we have mini-star parties at our Dark Sky Site... tempted?

A Big Hello Michael :)

Even if you have to beg, steal and borrow or crawl on both hands and knees, try and make it to a Star Party! Cos' the people are so helpful and the opportunity to look through all the different set ups is invaluable if you decide eventually to get some gear.

My visit to one was in fact by accident (..family visit to another part of the country) and it was this chance happening that greatly helped build upon my interest in astronomy.

Best of luck and clear skies. :D

James

Again thank you folks for you kind welcome! This is the only foru

i have ever used and i think ever will it kicks a**!!!! lol no seriously i have always had a keen intreast in astronomy but reading and chating on this forum has really i spired be to take it to the next level. Well to put it simply i was £400 better off 3 weeks ago until i joined this forum! Lol thanks for that sgl! But at least ive got some decent kit coming home now. :D cant wait to uae it!

YETI MONSTER-those oat cakes taste much better with orkney cheese!

TRULL-as i work off shore our boat docks in aberdeen twice a month so might just catch you their somtime for oneof your darksite nights!

As for everyone else i hope to be meeting you at the next star party and if not their ill no doubt chat woth you on here :)

thanks again folks!

Michael

Archived