SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tulse Hill -London

Merlin66

No, but my colleague goes that way regularly for work. Do you need something picking up? I can ask him to collect it for you, then get it from him and deliver?

I'm actually trying to trace the "remants" of Sir William Huggins house and observatory. He was the "father of spectroscopy"

For 40 years he worked from 90 Upper Tulse Hill, south London with his wife Margaret.

I'm seriously considering working towards getting him recognised with a Blue Plaque.

William Huggins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken

Don't wish to appear -ve Ken, but from looking up & down Upper Tulse Hill on Google maps-the even no's in that part of the road appear to have gone ( possibly bombed out) and replaced with 20C housing.

BTW lived just around the corner for ten yrs !

• 3 months later...

Greetings all. I was actually born at 90 Upper Tulse Hill in September 1956. It was a large Victorian villa with an extensive garden. Alas, all remnants of Sir William's observatory had long since vanished by the time I arrived. The house, together with all the other large houses on that side of the road were demolished between 1960 and 1962 to make way for a large council estate. It would be possible to roughly calculate the spot where the house stood by reference to the existing houses on the other side of the road. It might then be possible to put up a plaque to commemorate Sir William Huggin's legacy. Regards - Patrick

Congratulations!

You must be one of the few people who will remember the exact location.

I'm honestly surprised that a Blue Plaque hasn't been raised to Sir William and Margaret... to spend 40 years of your life developing spectroscopic techniques which are now used by every professional astronomer and no recognition...just doesn't sound fair.

Archived