frustration frustration

mark RD

Just put the new Baader laser finder into stock.

image.jpg

It is typical of German engineering with a nicely machined body and large 40mm coated glass optics!

It makes the other plastic 1x finder-scopes appear toylike.

Hope to have it reviewed for SGL soon (by someone else ... nobody believes a dealer anyway :wink:).

PS: Sorry about the pic, it was a rush job!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep at it Kain,

I have seen them both thru a 4" Newtonian. Admittedly it was a good, dark sky but with your 10" Dobsonain and a LPR, you will find them. They are conveniently placed near the Plough. A good 1x finder is ideal for locating objects like these - neither of them would show in a regular finder-scope anyway.

Heres a chart with a couple of FOV indicators for scale:

post-12699-133877322709_thumb.jpg

M81 & M82? Talk about frustration! and to read so many folk find them easily! Was about to give up and then found em the first time I used my Tele Vue 32mm PL. Another 'yeehaa' to wake the neighbours up with :wink: M101 & M51 are my bugbear - but will keep on tryin. Looking at my flash flooded drive now though, I think the only glass I'll be looking through tonight will be one with Gin in it.

I have never been able to see them from Exeter thru the 4" Mak.

Even under a dark sky I can only just make out faint smudges.

Thru the 10" Dobsonian, under a dark sky, I can see their shape clearly and the 'bridge' in the Whirlpool.

Oh no! Another scope on the wish list... and I'd been doing so well. Seriously though, sounded like a 10'd do the trick and the dob would be the affordable option. Might have to wait till we move to a larger house though - the wife knows that one criteria is a dark garden with room for a run off roof setup - or two. It's a bit of a standing joke for her and hearing her 'tut' about it gives me a chuckle - I AM DEADLY SERIOUS THOUGH :wink: Cant wait.

I just find stuff using charts! Thats probably why I get annoyed at times lol.

M81/82 still have illuded me, infact I have given up with them.

Kain

I simply cannot find them from my LP back yard. In a good sky I can put the scope right on them. both in the same field.

Just put the new Baader laser finder into stock.

It makes the other plastic 1x finder-scopes appear toylike.

£59 for a red dot seems kinda steep to me. With the "toylike" Telrad, I get a very nice, calibrated star-hopping guide.

It does look nice, though. Put a bulls-eye in it, and I'll uh, review it for you. 8)

£59 for a red dot seems kinda steep to me.

It is a little 'over engineered' but hey - I like it that way. Its not just the glass & metal & construction that appeals but its large aperture. Once you see it, you will know what I mean :grin:

Besides, the Telrad sells for £50 over here! Even the copies cost £35!! Gotta wonder...

It does look nice, though. Put a bulls-eye in it, and I'll uh, review it for you. 8)

I'll keep that in mind :wink:

I've just seen this thread after giving up on tonight. The TV76 has been waiting patiently outside for the end of its (surprisingly long) cooling-down time, and a high level haze has wiped out just about everything except Vega and Deneb.

It took more than 20 years for me to find M81 and M82 without too much trouble. When I bought my first "proper" telescope I wondered at first if I was ever going to find anything except the Sun and Moon. When I did start managing to find other things I always went back to them night after night until I could home in on them without trouble. I've never had a GOTO mount. Where's the thrill of the chase?

Oh no! Another scope on the wish list... and I'd been doing so well. Seriously though, sounded like a 10'd do the trick and the dob would be the affordable option. Might have to wait till we move to a larger house though - the wife knows that one criteria is a dark garden with room for a run off roof setup - or two. It's a bit of a standing joke for her and hearing her 'tut' about it gives me a chuckle - I AM DEADLY SERIOUS THOUGH :wink: Cant wait.

Get a 12" it's a big jump in views on DSOs over a 10"... :grin:

ff

Oh no! Another scope on the wish list... and I'd been doing so well. Seriously though, sounded like a 10'd do the trick and the dob would be the affordable option. Might have to wait till we move to a larger house though - the wife knows that one criteria is a dark garden with room for a run off roof setup - or two. It's a bit of a standing joke for her and hearing her 'tut' about it gives me a chuckle - I AM DEADLY SERIOUS THOUGH :grin: Cant wait.

Get a 12" it's a big jump in views on DSOs over a 10"... :lol:

I think a 12" might be a bit big for me to manage on my own although it would be temping. A 10" has got to be a big jump from the 127mm refractor Im using,

Anyway I managed to nail M57 with the 80MM + a 6.4mm EP Quite chuffed with that :wink:

RD

RD

Archived