1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

stoffler crater avi stack

neil phillips

This isnt meant to be a comparison shot with my other registax post. i do post sharpening anyway, so differences might not be due to just stacks, infact i used v5 virtual dub and avi stack for this one, so a collaboration of software, image analyzer too. John h swears by it, and ive seen hes excellent results with avi stack. i didnt downsize as much as the other post

4568293947_df6cf8ba3b_o.png

Notice how with Avistack the sharpness is much more uniform.

It's much easier than Registax multipoint align as well, you don't need the same skill to pick appropriate alignment points. IMO very much worth the extra processing time.

Everytime I open one of Neil's topic's, I am presented with an excellent picture.

One day, in my own humble way, I hope to be a smidgen as good as he is. Then I will be very pleased.

Great photo.

Another great pic Neil, just had a chance to catch up with the stuff everyone has been doing.

On the Avistack vs Registax 5.x debate, let's just say I find R5 does the job okay. The thing about Avistack is that it forces you to make a reference frame at the start of the procedure (the "average" frame). I wonder how many of the R5 vs Avistack comparisons that we see included proper reference frames in R5 before initial alignment and optimisation.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for the kind words, if you want to do imaging a good 8 to 10"Newtonian f8 f6. or C11 will perform fairly well. ive seen some much cheaper secondhand 8 and 10" newts about, eq5 or celestrons cheap mounts are possible, i even took 5x shots with a 10" Newt on a vixen GP with wooden tripod, not ideal but its a start is the point.

Hi Nick your processing is sublime, Certainly some of the best tightest aligned registax work ive seen, Your processing is inspirational. I always use between 50 for lunar 100 frames for planets as a reference. Interesting point about good referance frames being used. ( or not compared to avi stack )

I do think Brian is right to a degree, getting good align points right to the edge, can sometimes be troublesome with setups that have a lot of drift, ( this is most likely the general norm for many ) and with areas of low contrast at the edge on registax, one cannot easily map those areas well, with the result that the sharpness can fall away. But avi stack seems different to me,it seems to map low contrast areas to the edge well with hundreds of points. A big advantage for beginers and those with drift. I think this explains Brians view that avi stack is more uniform.

Registax can be made to be uniform, as your work clearly shows Nick. But its more difficult especially as i say for beginers. I could be wrong but this is my early view on it. Registered and optimized on v5 then stacked on avi stack is a certainly interesting technique. The program looks like a control panel for predator with its false colour mode

Edited by neil phillips

Registax can be made to be uniform, as your work clearly shows Nick.

No dispute there. With steady seeing Registax works well even when used "clumsily" and it certainly has a speed advantage. But Avistack seems to manage to pull uniformly sharp images out of wobbly seeing without a great deal of effort or the need for much skill ... that's a big plus.

Another downside of Avistack is that there can be small differences in brighness/contrast in areas when the transparency is varying whilst the movie is being shot - perhaps due to drifting cloud or uneven high cloud. And I haven't managed to get Avistack to work properly with planets.

Horses for courses, or there is more than one way to skin the cat ... and life would be terribly dull if nobody ever tried anything different!

Horses for courses, or there is more than one way to skin the cat ... and life would be terribly dull if nobody ever tried anything different!

Absolutely Brian. There are are a lot of really good guys , like Stefan Lammel and Wes Higgins who use Avistack. BTW, the "trick" I use in Registax is to use only 10-15 frames for the initial reference and about 15-20 for the secondary reference frame prior to optimisation.

Cheers

Nick

Absolutely Brian. There are are a lot of really good guys , like Stefan Lammel and Wes Higgins who use Avistack. BTW, the "trick" I use in Registax is to use only 10-15 frames for the initial reference and about 15-20 for the secondary reference frame prior to optimisation.

Cheers

Nick

It doesnt take long to get rusty Dave, and those little problems seem to happen more often.

Interesting Nick, i remember the esscence of what you said before, low gain, low noise, low frame stacks.the alignment is helped by fewer frames needed, by the better quality lower gain frames, and if aligned correctly with good referance frames and i assume little drift, very tightly algned stacks are produced, I know some including myself occassionaly throw in frames that are obviously poor because your alignment looks so good. But some would go at it with faster exposures and higher gain to beat seeing, But im guessing the C14s light grasp gives you the best of both worlds low gain and fast exposures. your technique as i said before makes perfect sense. if ive got all this right